We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

late night (afterhours) places to eat

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
333 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
late night (afterhours) places to eat

What are the best places to grab some late night food in downtown Memphis after the bars close? I'm pretty open minded when it comes to food, particularly after 2 am, so just about any kind of food will sound good to me - thanks!

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: late night (afterhours) places to eat

Yankeebaseball,

Huey's is a Memphis landmark which was started by a musician/restaurant guy

in 1970 primarily for musicians from in town and out of town who wanted somewhere to gather and eat after gigs. It became so popular with it's Huey Burgers and casual, almost grungy atmosphere that a half dozen Huey's restaurants were opened in Memphis and a few out of town. The location you're looking for is Union and 2nd, right across the street from The Peabody and 2 blocks north of Beale. You do have to place an order before 2:00 AM. They close at 3:00. Some clubs are open that late on Beale, and probably have

similar hours relating to food. I was in Charlottesville 4 days ago and ate at the Boat House. Huey's is more casual than that!

Edited: 02 December 2010, 17:05
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: late night (afterhours) places to eat

What about Automatic Slims? I don't know what time they close. Their webiste says "menu served until late." I'm not sure what time they close exactly.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: late night (afterhours) places to eat

Dyer's Burgers is a Memphis legend since 1912. They are open to 1 AM weekdays and 5AM on Friday and Saturday. Good burgers. Ernestine and Hazel's is open to 3 AM daily.

Dyer's Hamburger's @ 205 Beale Street., Memphis, TN 901 - 527 - 3937.

http://www.dyersonbeale.com/index.php

Ernestine and Hazel's Bar @ 531 South Main St., Memphis, TN 901 - 523 - 9754.

http://www.earnestineandhazels.com/

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: late night (afterhours) places to eat

South of Beale has great drinks and food. They close at 3 AM.

South of Beale @ 361 South Main St., Memphis, TN 901 - 526 - 0388.

http://www.southofbeale.com/

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
333 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: late night (afterhours) places to eat

thanks for all the suggestions! does anyone know if there's any street vendors selling food on Beale Street late night as well?

Edited: 03 December 2010, 21:36
scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: late night (afterhours) places to eat

I would say that there aren't vendors selling food. I'm trying to think if I've ever bought something to eat in the park? maybe. But they don't want you buying food like hotdog's and burgers when they all want you to go inside and buy food from them, it's where they make their money, lots and lots of eating places, like 12 or more a stone throw from each other. You can buy a beer from someone right outside a bar so if your walking around in the heat you don't need to go inside to get a drink, there are Vendors selling jewelry & crafts tee-shirts etc etc

Edited: 05 December 2010, 00:34
Barnhart
Level Contributor
605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: late night (afterhours) places to eat

Huey's is the place to go. Their bacon-cheese fries with ranch dressing is awesome.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
73 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: late night (afterhours) places to eat

Food vendors on Beale?? Don't forget about the turkey legs wrapped in foil. I have seen those at the same vendors that sell the beer. Turkey legs, pizza and I think maybe corn dogs.

Barnhart
Level Contributor
605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: late night (afterhours) places to eat

Yes, the footlong corndogs...aka pronto-pups, are excellent!

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: late night (afterhours) places to eat

I don't know why, but I can't quite take to calling them pronto pups, I just like to call them Corn Dogs. Invented right in Memphis at The Fairgrounds, I do enjoy them, much more than I like Krystal Burgers lol They are like what people in the UK say with Marmite, You either love them or hate them. I know many family's in town where half the family really like them ( I would say love them but I just can't bring myself too lol ) and the other half can't stand them lol

Get answers to your questions about Memphis