We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

top 5 things to do in memphis

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
top 5 things to do in memphis

I would like some suggestions of top 5 things to do in memphis.

I know would tour Graceland abit. I was never a fan of Elvis so i wouldn't exactly make that my main point of Memphis.

So I like some suggestions for a 3 nights in Memphis.

thanks

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: top 5 things to do in memphis

I'll give you more than five since everyone's tastes is not the same:

Graceland (even non-Elvis fans enjoy it once for the time capsule that it is!), Sun Studios, Civil Rights Museum, Memphis Redbirds game if they're in town when you are or the Memphis Grizzlies during NBS season, Mud Island, our amazing zoo, Rock and Soul (created by the Smithsonian Institution), Stax, Gibson Guitar factory tours, Elmwood Cemetery, the Peabody Hotel with the ducks and the fantastic lobby bar, the Cotton Museum, the Pink Palace, Memphis Botanical Gardens, Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Brooks Museum of Art, Lichterman Nature Center, National Ornamental Metal Museum, Beale Street, Southland Greyhound Park right across the river and almost endless barbeque choices.

Surely you can find enough out of that to entertain yourself for three days! I'm sure I've left someone else's favorite out. Also, this doesn't include day trips like Shiloh National Military Park, Clarksdale, MS and Tunica, MS for starters.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: top 5 things to do in memphis

I know not everyone is an Elvis fan but you should go and take it all in. Like Deb said, it's a time capsule of the 70's and I have known people who have gone as non Elvis fans and because they went, they became Elvis fans!

But yes, make a day of it (well best part of a day) and just take it all in, you won't regret it.

South London
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: top 5 things to do in memphis

Graceland, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Skywalk over the Mississippi to mud island & catching the Memphis Redbirds @ Autozone park

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: top 5 things to do in memphis

The great thing about Memphis' attractions is that you can stay in a Downtown hotel and walk or trolley ride to 90% of the known ones including strolls to Beale St. w/o worries with driving before or after, and the 5 to 10% that remain are accessible by free shuttle transportation including Sun Studio and Graceland. The #1 rated zoo is an exception. Check the T. A. popularity ranking for the best hotels.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,677 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: top 5 things to do in memphis

Top 5:

Graceland

National Civil Rights Museum

Mud Island

Gibson Guitar Factory tour

Elmwood Cemetery

Other things we liked:

Cotton Museum

Stax

Rock n Soul

Sun Studio

Beale St

We didn't think that the Ornamental Metal Museum, the Pink Palace and seeing the ducks at the Peabody were worth the time.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: top 5 things to do in memphis

i leave this thursday, i am hoping to hit all these attractions, we leave sunday....i'm ready to go!!!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: top 5 things to do in memphis

Have a wonderful trip, CMOTO!

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: top 5 things to do in memphis

Some people think the ducks are silly but you will be amazed how many people turn out to see them and love them

They make it a big fan fare needless to say kids love seeing them plus it's free & gets you out of the heat

Everyone should go see them atleast once lol

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: top 5 things to do in memphis

how early do you have to be there to see the ducks? i know 11am and 5pm, but do you have to get there a hour early just to see them? is there a time for the roof top as well?? i want some good pictures!!!!

New Athens, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: top 5 things to do in memphis

I was there a couple of weeks ago, stayed across the street from the Peabody at the Holiday Inn Select. I walked over there about a half an hour ahead of time and was in the front to see the ducks. I try to go see the ducks everytime we go to Memphis and love it everytime. I think you can go up on the roof anytime...love the view!!

Get answers to your questions about Memphis
Recent Conversations