We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis package holiday?

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northleach, United...
Level Contributor
680 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Memphis package holiday?

Hi there, I'm hoping to go to Memphis next year to visit Gracelands and the Sun studio tour. I was just wondering who in the UK does the best package holidays to Memphis or do people tend to book hotel and flights separately?

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memphis package holiday?

I'll let our experts from the UK, elvisgillies and moviemaker, answer the part about the best packages to book, but I can tell you that Memphis is very easy to see on your own. If you decide to book yourself, I recommend you stay downtown, which puts you within walking or trolley ride distance of many attractions, restaurants, bars, etc. Also, there is a free shuttle from downtown to Graceland to Sun Studio, but you must take the studio tour to use it.

The other area you could consider for your hotel would be the Heartbreak Hotel or Days Inn across the street from the mansion. The biggest problem with staying there is that there aren't any other tourist attractions in that area and very limited dining choices. Also, the area surrounding Graceland is a little sketchy and you wouldn't want to be walking around at night away from the immediate Graceland area.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memphis package holiday?

Hello Miss Champers!

As Deb said, it is pretty uncomplicated to fly in, go to a Downtown hotel and stroll or ride the vintage trollies to many attractions, cafes and shops, and of course Beale St. There are good local bus tours of this area, the most entertaining being Backbeat Tours' Memphis Mojo tour in a converted 50's city bus. (www.backbeattours.com) You can book a ticket on Beale St. or with your hotel Concierge. There are also more horse drawn carriages in Downtown Memphis than in any other U.S. city available for a sightseeing ride. There are always a few waiting in front of The Peabody Hotel.

www.Uptown Carriages.com

www.carriagetoursofmemphis.com

Wednesday evenings are biker night on Beale St. mostly all year long,

and Thursdays are Rooftop Sunset celebrations on top of three Downtown hotels. Have fun!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memphis package holiday?

We have been to the states many times and always book independently. Book a flight to Memphis via one of the hubs, (no direct flights to Memphis) unless you fly with KLM to Amsterdam then back to Memphis. We normally fly from Manchester to Atlanta and drive up from there. In september we are going via Newark. You can book hotels on their websites.

So, in short, forget packages, book everything yourself, it's a lot easier.

Northleach, United...
Level Contributor
680 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memphis package holiday?

Thank you for your replies everyone, as I can't find anywhere that does package holidays it looks like we'll be booking independently. Which do you think are the best downtown hotels that aren't really expensive as we'll be taking my 16 year old son as well. And what about transfers from the airport, will we have to get a taxi?

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memphis package holiday?

You're so welcome.

Good mid priced hotels downtown include Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Doubletree, Courtyard, Residence Inn or Springhill Suites for starters.

As for getting to your hotel, taxi is the easiest and will run you about $25 - 30 plus tip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memphis package holiday?

How long is your visit?

If you are going to be there for a week or so, you could experience the HH. Deb is right about the area and the fact that Graceland is about 10 miles from downtown. I only suggest the HH as part of the unique Elvis experience.

So why not consider a couple of days at the HH or Days Inn. The rest of the time you could spend downtown. Just a thought.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memphis package holiday?

Courtyard Marriott, Hampton Inn, Residence Inn and Springhill Suites are great hotels downtown. The Hampton is on Beale St.

Courtyard Marriott Downtown @ 75 Jefferson Avenue, Memphis, TN 901 - 522 - 2200.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Hampton Inn @ 175 Peabody Place, Memphis, TN 901 - 260 - 4000.

…hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml…

Marriott Residence Inn Downtown @ 110 Monroe Avenue, Memphis, TN 901 - 578 - 3700.

marriott.com/hotels/…

The Residence Inn would be a choice because of the Sunset Rooftop BBQ & party for Guests on Thursday's.

Springhill Suites Downtown @ 21 North Main Street, Memphis, TN 901 - 522 - 2100.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Northleach, United...
Level Contributor
680 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memphis package holiday?

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. What I'll probably do is what moviemaker suggested and stay a few nights at HH and the rest downtown. I did initially want to stay at HH for the duration (which will be a week) but after reading that there's not much going on around that area apart from Gracelands, we will stay downtown as well. Which months do you think is the best time to visit? I would love to go Elvis week but I suspect it will be very busy and probably more expensive.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Memphis package holiday?

We have been in may and the weather was pretty good. We will be there in september and I reckon it will be nice. Of course the summer months will be hot and sticky. The locals will give you better advice for the best months to visit weather wise.

Another advantage of staying at HH is that you can walk up to the graves between 7:30am-8:30am. That is a nice thing to do. It lets you stroll through the grounds at your own pace rather than being bussed over to the house. The walk is up to the graves only, you cannot go in the house of course.

Elvis week is very busy and really you would have to book 12 months in advance for that.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Memphis package holiday?

I would say late May weather is better than early May as we usually have lots of rain then. Also, keep Memphis in May in mind, which involves large events mostly downtown just about every weekend in May. You'll need to book your hotel asap if you plan to be here for Music Fest or BBQ contest.

June, July and August tend to be very hot with plenty of humidity to match. And yes, prices and crowds will be higher during Elvis week.

To me, some of the best weather we have would be March and late September through October. However, these dates may not work out with school schedules.