We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit at Christmas - places to stay & things to do

Vermont
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visit at Christmas - places to stay & things to do

We are thinking about taking a trip to Memphis Dec. 20 - Dec. 26 but I am wondering if December is a good time to visit . What is the weather like in December (we will be traveling from Vermont)? Where is the best location to book a hotel in the midst of action? Will we need to rent a car or are there locations to stay in that we wouldn't need a car? Last but not least, are there any places open on Christmas if we are visiting then? Suggestions of places to visit while there would be much appreciated as well.

Thank you for your help!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit at Christmas - places to stay & things to do

Our weather will seem fantastic compared to your Vermont weather in December, unless you like cold and snow! We normally have lows in the 20's and 30's with highs in the 40's to 50's that time of year. Memphis gets accumlating snow so rarely that it won't be a worry for you.

I recommend staying downtown as you'll be in walking or trolley ride distance to many attractions, bars, clubs and restaurants. Whether you'll want a car or not will depend on what you want to see. Downtown is extremely easy to see as its compact and because of the trolley service. Also, there is a free shuttle from downtown to Sun Studios to Graceland, but you must take the studio tour to use it. Stax, the zoo, the botanical gardens, Elmwood cemetery, etc. are away from downtown and would require either a car or cab. Public transportation in Memphis, aside from the trolley system, is not very good.

Being the holidays, Graceland will be decorated, downtown will have special events and decorations, Zoo Lights and Starry Nights at Shelby Farms will be going on as well during that time.

For other ideas on places to visit in Memphis, check the "things to do" tab on the left side of this page for reviews and ideas.

I'm certain tourist attractions will be closed Christmas Day, but some restaurants will be open. They normally run a list of open restaurants in the paper a week or two before the holiday and I'd be glad to post that on this forum.

Vermont
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit at Christmas - places to stay & things to do

Thank you so much for all this helpful information. I will research more and try to make a decision. Thanks again!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit at Christmas - places to stay & things to do

You're so welcome.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit at Christmas - places to stay & things to do

I'll also add that at least some of the clubs on Beale will be open Christmas night as they already have entertainment schedules posted.

Bridel, Luxembourg
Level Contributor
73 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit at Christmas - places to stay & things to do

Seems interesting. I'm thinking of a trip mid December, and the road of Music (Nashville-Memphis-NO) was one of my ideas, but I thought the weather might be horrible... Apparently it seems to turn out ok then.

If I'll decide for that trip and if I have a question, is it ok todrop you a note?

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit at Christmas - places to stay & things to do

MaizieMarley,

The Main St. Trolley cars will be decorated for Christmas and the Peabody Hotel lobby provides a wonderful seasonal atmosphere to compliment the famous march of the ducks. Come on down!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit at Christmas - places to stay & things to do

Pierchen, ask away on here or in messages!

Nashville gets a bit more snow than Memphis, but not enough or often enough for it to be an issue. NO virtually never sees snow.

One popular thing for folks to do is take the train to/from NO to Memphis. Sadly, there's no direct train service between Memphis and Nashville.

Edited: 15 November 2011, 13:23
Bridel, Luxembourg
Level Contributor
73 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit at Christmas - places to stay & things to do

Thx for your info!

Yeah, I thought of renting a car to get from NSH to MEM and take the Amtrak to get down to NO.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit at Christmas - places to stay & things to do

You're so welcome and it sounds like a good plan to me!

10. Re: Visit at Christmas - places to stay & things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2012, 10:23