We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I making a mistake?

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jarrow, United...
Level Contributor
598 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Am I making a mistake?

My wife and I will be staying in Memphis for seven nights in June this year. So far we've "penciled-in", Days Inn at Graceland. Now I know it's not downtown as many of you here suggest is the best place to stay. If I weigh up the pros and cons, I hope you'll be able to help me either to convince me I'm doing the wrong or right thing.

Budget wise it's right on the money, we'll have a car so the free parking is a bonus, I like the tackiness of the hotel, it's possible we will be visiting Graceland more than once, I'm not a drinker so driving into town to drink soda with my meal is fine.....please can you advise me as after reading so many people recomending against staying in the Graceland area is starting to get me a little worried.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,512 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I making a mistake?

We spent several days in Memphis, but only about four hours of them were at Graceland, so it wouldn't have been convenient for many of the other things we did.

We liked staying DT because we could walk to many things--the Belz Museum, Civil Rights Museum, Cotton Museum, Mud Island, Gibson Guitar factory, Rock N Soul Museum, to name a few--as well as restaurants and music venues in the evening..

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I making a mistake?

The big advantages to staying downtown is being able to walk or take the trolley to lots of attractions and you have many more dining options immediately available. However, many, many Elvis fans enjoy staying near Graceland, walking up to the graves in the morning, etc. And, I can see where the free parking would be a big plus as paying that nightly parking fee adds up. You'll just have to do whatever you think is best.

You could do what some do and split your time with a few days at Graceland and a few days downtown.

Moviemaker and Elvisgillies would be good ones to ask as they've both stayed in the Graceland area.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I making a mistake?

Yes, splitting your time between downtown and Graceland is fine. The question of safety always comes up about staying near Graceland. I have been to Graceland more times than I care to remember and never felt unsafe around that area, If you stay at Days Inn you will turn left onto Elvis Presley Boulevard and you will have a 1 minute walk and you are on the plaza.

There is nowhere else to go only the plaza and that place is very safe with security always visible.

The bottom line is this: Graceland is perfectly safe and you will not have any problem staying there.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I making a mistake?

In my opinion, it depends how big an Elvis fan you are, would I recommend a non Elvis fan staying there a week ? no.

If Graceland is The reason for your visit to Memphis fine, Downtown is more expensive, & days inn gives you free parking , breakfast & refrigerator, you'll just have to think what you'd like to do, If your traveling light, you could split your stay between the two.

There are gift shops near you too, one right next door and that one isn't exclusively Elvis, a couple are open late, so if your an Elvis fan you can go for a walk at night around a few gift shops & stop at graceland for a look etc, this is where it appeals to the Elvis fan

Jarrow, United...
Level Contributor
598 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I making a mistake?

I'm not too keen on splitting between downtown and Graceland, I feel like by the time we get settled it'll be time to move on, I guess I was looking for assurance that days inn will be ok. There may even be a day or two where we decide to stay in the hotel all day.

We will probably take a visit to Rev Greens church, a day trip to the zoo, a drive out to the big flea market they have once a month, all of which will need a car so it makes no difference wether we're downtown or not, I guess?

As far as being a big Elvis fan, I'd say probably yes.

Sorry for going on about it but you see very few recommendations for staying outside of town.

Thanks for your replies.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I making a mistake?

Seeing the things you plan to do, I say go with your first instinct and stay at Days Inn. I know Moviemaker has stayed there (and maybe Elvisgillies, too) and I've had family stay there and they all like it fine.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I making a mistake?

Reading all your posts, I would say stay at Days Inn, it's a good hotel and you have a pool if you want a day lazing about. Like Elvisgillies said, you have a gift shop just to the right of the hotel if you fancy a browse.

The hotel is fine and has improved a lot over the years. Do you smoke?, if so, the hotel is fine in the sense you can open your door and stand outside while you have a smoke.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I making a mistake?

I don't visit that area very often. I like to stay downtown and walk to all the attractions. Memphis is a great city. If you have made your mind up about

Day's Inn I would stay there. If there's any doubt get a room downtown. Enjoy your visit and come back again soon.

Jarrow, United...
Level Contributor
598 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I making a mistake?

Ok, so I've bitten the bullet and booked the Days Inn at Graceland for seven nights. Now more questions.....sorry guys.

The cost for seven nights was $714, which at about £458 for seven nights we thought was pretty good value, what do you guys think?

Also I booked on their own website using a debit card......do you guys call a debit card basically the same as a credit card because even though it was asking for a credit card number it seemed to accept the debit card fine? Would any of you know when the amount would be withdrawn from my account? Or do you think it'd be due upon the day of checkout?

Thank you.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I making a mistake?

The norm is for a hotel to"authorize" your card account upon your checking in to the facility with the exception of special events when they will usually claim the full amount in advance in order to protect themselves against cancellation. Authorization does not take your money at that time, rather it freezes it so that that amount can't be accessed for any other purpose in your account. If for some reason you do not actually spend that money for the original purpose it will be freed up again in your account within about a week.