We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serious Question

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
26 posts
385 reviews
Save Topic
Serious Question

We have heard all manner of remarks about the safety of tourists in downtown Memphis. "Don't walk the streets downtown after dark!" "Gus's fried chicken is in a BAD Section of town." "The gang problem is awful east of downtown, don't leave your car." "Graceland is one place you don't want to be when the sun sets." And then the exact opposite for all of the above. Is there any way of getting an honest assessment of the problems we might, or might not be facing? My wife is already in a panic and doesn't want to walk from the hotel to Charles Vergos and that less than half a mile. Please help.

scotland
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Serious Question

This is a very good question and I'm going to be very interested in any replies as i too am a bit worried about safety

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Serious Question

Well the locals will give you more detailed info but for my opinion, Memphis is perfectly safe and Graceland is safe. even after dark. With Graceland you only have the plaza opposite the house and you would not need to go anywhere else so in that context, it's perfectly safe. This question has been asked many times on here and if you check previous posts you will get your answers.

I am from the UK and have been to Memphis many many times and never ever felt unsafe.

Rest assured, your trip to Memphis will be fine.

scotland
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serious Question

Thanks moviemaker thats great to hear

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
26 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Serious Question

thanks moviemaker, and i did look down about 20 deep into the posts to see if there had been a recent posting. i guess my wife worries about when there is smoke there is fire more than i do. frankly i think she watches too many of those "reality" police shows and they DO seem to have a lot with Memphis as the featured attraction.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Serious Question

The First 48 is the show you are refering to. Yes it was filmed in Memphis, but all the crime seen on the show is confined to non-tourist areas. In Memphis, the more violent crimes are concentrated in small areas of the city...before I get flamed, yes of course there are some violent crimes outside of those areas.

EVERYWHERE in the USA has crime. I lived in Memphis for almost 2 decades, I was never a victim of a robbery, a gang crime, a murder, a rape, an assault...save a few drunken swings at a bar at 2:30am. My car was broken into 1 time. I lived in Germantown, the Highland area, East Memphis, Olive Branch, Midtown, and Munford...in that order. Many of my friends were never a victim of crime, a few were. But if you play six degrees in any group of friends...one will be a victim or know a victim of crime, that's America

Memphis is just like ANY other major US city with a metro population over 1 million...It's got problems, but its not Gotham City with evil bosses and gangs running around planning capers and running syndicates. ;-)

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Serious Question

Ok you can be a victim of crime almost anywhere, however most often it's either a case of, my car got broken into(& valuables were on show)

I got mugged or robbed on Beale ( I was very intoxicated laying on the street at 4 am on my own)

I was the victim of road rage( the guy I got out of my car and hit his hood got out his car and hit me)

This of course didn't happen to me I'm just trying to illustrate and enlighten you to the fact that if you use some common sence your chances of seeing any crime let alone being a victim of any will be very slim indeed

Just to reassure you downtown & the Graceland complex are perfectly safe and walkable day or night, just not at 4am on your own when drunk, and as the MPD are always saying don't leave expensive & tempting items in view in parked cars

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Serious Question

When I say you can be the victim of crime almost anywhere, I'm not meaning Memphis in particular, just anywhere if you make yourself an easy target, like have your wallet sitting on a bar and go to a restroom and forget to take it

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,928 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Serious Question

The bottom line is that millions of tourists and other visitors come and stay several nights in Memphis yearly, walk and drive around Downtown and other areas, and have a great time without major concern for safety. Extremely few out of towners encounter any sort of mayhem in the city.

Barnhart
Level Contributor
605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Serious Question

I've been to Memphis maybe 20-25 times in the last 15 years. We did have our car broken into once, and that was a long time ago before downtown's made a bit of a resurgance.

I'm guessing you're staying around Court Square if you're 1/2 mile from Rendezvous. That's a perfectly safe walk, especially in the day time (might run across some homeless looking for a handout that could seem intimidating at night). Or better yet, just take the trolley. It's fun and even safer.

Downtown has some of the lowest crime rates in the region. Your biggest 'problem' is the area in between downtown and Graceland...stick to the Interstate and main roads especially during at night; it's less of a concern in the daytime. But once you're at either location, while I can't guarantee 100% safety there anymore than any other place, you really shouldn't worry much...but as in any tourist area, I'd keep things a pickpocket may want close to the vest...

Edited: 06 February 2012, 16:24
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Serious Question

Most crime in large U. S. cities occurs in areas that tourist don't visit. If you visit downtown it's very safe but late at night I would take a cab. If you are careful you will not have a problem visiting Memphis. It's a great city. Just stay in designated tourist areas and don't be out late at night. Enjoy your visit.