We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit - July or November?

Franklin, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
51 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit - July or November?

Hello! My husband and I are doing a mini-road trip from Milwaukee, down to St. Louis and then on to Memphis. We'll spend three nights in Memphis. We originally planned to go end September/early October, but unfortunately can't now. So - we have two other options - mid- to end-July, and mid-November. Which would be better? Specifically thinking about the weather, tourist levels, and local activities. Thanks!!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,965 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit - July or November?

July is incredibly hot and humid. I would pick November. Except for Mud Island, most Memphis attractions are open year round.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit - July or November?

Mid November is a good time. Most of the time the weather doesn't turn wet and cold until January. It can be chilly at night though. We all get used to hot weather in the S so I don't mind July myself. But you should have fun in November unless you hit a wet spell. Enjoy your visit.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit - July or November?

Sounds good.What about September??

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,965 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit - July or November?

To me, September and October is some of the nicest weather we have. Early September can sometimes still be a bit hot. Lots of local festivals in the fall as well.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit - July or November?

Hi Kingston,

September is good; the later the better. All the staple Memphis attractions are charging along minus the heavy family attendance. Still warm enough to wade the flowing scale model MS River down to the Gulf on Mud Island, sit out on the large patio at the new Riverfront Grill on Beale St. Landing and catch world class sunsets as a backdrop for riverboats plying the water. The Levitt Shell where Elvis performed his first outdoor concert will still have daily free concerts ranging from The Blues to Folk Music, and veteran local Rock n Roll musician/Tour Guides will be giving the daily "Memphis Mojo Tours" on converted 50's city buses. Stay Downtown for convenience to all the good stuff.

Franklin, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
51 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit - July or November?

Thanks for the good input, all. Much appreciated.

We had originally planned to go Sept. 27-Oct. 2, which I think would have been perfect. Unfortunately, work schedules are no longer permitting us from doing that, so we're stuck with either late June / early July, late July or Mid-November. We actually really love the heat, so we're thinking that June/July may be our best bet.

Is there a huge difference between end of June and end of July? For example, if we did June 21-26 or July 26-31, would one be significantly better or worse in terms of heat and humidity?

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,965 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit - July or November?

You're so welcome.

I would say weatherwise, there's not much difference.

Franklin, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
51 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit - July or November?

I do have one other question for thought - we are also considering which days of the week are better. Is there much going on - particularly for nightlife and music, etc. - on Wed-Thurs nights? Or in order to get the true feel of Beale Street, etc. is it important that we visit on a Fri or Sat night?

Thanks in advance!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,965 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit - July or November?

Beale has live music everynight, but its particularly packed on the weekends. So, it will depend on whether or not huge crowds are your thing. Its also worth noting that Wednesday night is bike night on Beale, if that interests you.

Don't forget to check the Redbirds baseball schedule as well if you'd like to take in a game while you're here.

Franklin, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
51 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit - July or November?

Great advice - thanks again!

Get answers to your questions about Memphis
Recent Conversations