We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rendevous

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rendevous

Very disappointed in the meal.Ribs were ok, sides were fair but the side portions were no bigger than a table spoon of beans and slaw,served with child size spoon.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rendevous

Thanks for your input and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your experience. You might post these comments as a review for Rendezvous.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rendevous

Memphis has outstanding BBQ but Rendezvous does not rank in the top 10 or so for various reasons. Interstate, A&R, Cozy Corner, Central, Payne's and BBQ Shop are in the top 10.

Memphis, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rendevous

Hi-

I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy your experience at the Rendezvous. Our family has owned & operated the Rendezvous for 64 years so we definitely take all complaints very serious. We always encourage our customers to give us feedback because it helps us make improvements, so I appreciate your comments.

We cook our ribs over charcoal at a high heat and baste them with a vinegar based "juice" to keep the moisture in. We then sprinkle them with our seasoning just prior to serving. This is definitely a different method than most BBQ joints use to prepare ribs, but we've been cooking them this way for nearly 60 years- before ribs were even a common item on restaurant menus. Our ribs are what put Memphis BBQ on the map.

We definitely don't proclaim to be perfect so if we did make a mistake with your ribs, I'm very sorry. I wish you could've let us know while you were in the restaurant so we could've corrected our mistake on the spot. There is almost always a Vergos family member on the floor to make sure any mistakes are corrected, as we don't want anyone to leave unhappy.

Regarding the side items- we've been serving the same 4 oz portion of beans & slaw for many years. I'm sorry you found it to be too small. If you'd like more, all you have to do is ask. We definitely do not want anyone to leave our restaurant hungry!

Memphis is a great city with lots of good restaurants-the previous post mentions a few of them. I know our restaurant is unique and different, so If our type of ribs/BBQ aren't your thing, I hope you were able to enjoy some of Memphis' other great restaurants. Thanks again for your comments.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
7 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rendevous

Have to agree with the others unfortunately! We were excited about trying Rendevous but were extremely disappointed across the board. We had ribs, pork and lam riblets. We enjoy good barbeque and my husband makes fall off the bone ribs. These were more like wrestle off the bone (which I don't enjoy and life is just too short). The pork was full of grissle - and while they flavor of the lamb was good, there was more fat than lamb. I literally left feeling a little bit nauseous - and the server could see that we weren't happy and didn't really seem to care. We probably should've asked for a manager but we just wanted to get out of there!

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rendevous

Not to be rude or dis your husbands cooking but ribs should never, ever, fall off the bone...that is a sign they are overcooked. The perfect rib is bite through, will keep its shape, and can be pulled from the bone cleanly with a little tug. If the rib is cooked correctly the bone will then blanche (turn white) within a few minutes...

Many restaurants cook their ribs fall off the bone because that is what they and the public think is correct, but it is a travesty. Its like cooking a filet mignon well done, its just wrong.

Many Memphis restaurants cook their ribs the correct way, as does every Competitive BBQ Team I know. Rendevous directly grills their ribs over hot coal 30 minutes on each side. Its not low and slow BBQ, but it is the home of Memphis Dry Rub Ribs, invented by the Rendevous. You have to go in knowing it is a much different taste and texture than any other BBQ Rib pretty much anywhere.

Some people Like em, Some people Love em, Some people go and try one of the 100 plus other BBQ joints around town, All I know is Rendevous is one of the reasons Memphis became known as a bbq powerhouse. Are they the best, thats all personal opinion, but I do know they are definitely worth trying at least once in your life.

Little tip - go on a Tuesday or Thursday at 4:45-5pm I have consistantly gotten the BEST ribs at this time.

Neil Gallagher

Pitmaster

Too Sauced To Pork Championship BBQ Team

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rendevous

Toosauced, they are my favorite ribs in the entire city. I've lived here over 40 years and have tried plenty of barbecue during that time. I don't like "wet" ribs, so their "dry" suits me. My husband also likes them, but our son can't stand them. I always tell folks on here that ask "who has the best bbq?" that its all up to the individual.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rendevous

While not my favorite, I agree Deb, almost every time I return to Memphis I eat at Rendevous

And for you Rib people out there that get bad ribs:

Like any restaurant they can mess up a few orders. Sometimes it's not their fault, just like us some pigs are fatter, or have a big torso, or are lazy and the fat develops in the wrong place. When you have a bad rib it might not be the resaurants fault, it could simply be that the rib was messed up when it got to the restaurant in its raw state. There sometimes is no way of figuring this out until it is eaten.

Cooking 800 racks a day is insane, but Rendevous does it, and 98% of the time they do it well. Satistically that is awesome, in the real world that means about 20 racks are messed up. All BBQ restaurants know that ribs can have fat pockets, double bones, and be way too tough. Only take a few bites then tell the server and 9 times out of ten you will have a new rack in front of you no problem. Just explain the WHY to them, don't just say they are no good.

Neil

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rendevous

We tried Rendevous many times over the years trying different menu items in the hopes of finding something worthy of their reputation. We never did find anything that we thought was better than average and in many cases it was much worse than average. I just don't see the attraction people have to this place but to each his own.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
7 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rendevous

Well one thing that this chat proves is ribs are a very personal choice!! - and there's room for them all! There are two things that I would challenge from Neil's post. First I disagree (which again is ok) with his contention that fall of the bone is a travesty. I will agree with him on the temperature of a steak and we both prefer any beef (good quality) cooked medium rare and shiver when our dear friends order it well done - but again to each his own.

Everyone has been commenting on ribs but for us the difference in the pulled pork between, for example, Rendevous & Alfred's was night & day. When I read "pulled pork" on a menu, I am envisioning tender fork shredded pork that melts in your mouth. If it is sliced or chopped, it should be advertised that way. Instead of saying anything else negative, i'll just say if that's the kind of pork you like, try Alfred's or Pig on Beale.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rendevous

Again, not being rude or attacking anyone, just defending the restaurants, and educating :-)

I've been in Competitive BBQ a very long time...below is the general consensus definition of pulled pork amongst us teams and chefs in BBQ culture.

Pulled pork is a form of barbecue in which pork is cooked using a low-heat, long-cook method. With these long cook times at low temperatures, the meat becomes tender enough that it can be "pulled", or easily broken into individual pieces. Those pieces can then be sliced, chopped, or shredded according to preference. If prepared in the manner above, they are all technically "pulled pork" as they have been "pulled" in chunks from the original cut and then prepared how the cook sees fit.

Personally I'm with you Merri, We "spaghetti" shred our pork with a fork or by hand so that we get nice strings of succulent pork that melt away when bitten into (YUM)...but the other ways are also considered pulled pork.

Neil Gallagher

Pitmaster

Too Sauced To Pork Championship BBQ Team