We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe spot for mom and kids

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Safe spot for mom and kids

Hey Memphis travel experts! The kids and I are taking a road trip, and Memphis is one of our stops. What part of town, or particular hotels, do you recommend staying, that isn't too far from all the action, but is safe for us traveling alone? We'll probably eat dinner on Beale, and check out some of the historical sites. The kids love a free breakfast, and I'd like to pay around $130.

Thank you!

New Athens, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe spot for mom and kids

Check out the Holiday Inn Select. It's downtown on Union Ave and right across the street from the Peabody Hotel. You can take the kids over there to see the famous ducks and it's only 2 blocks from Beale St. I'm going there this weekend and stayed there last year. It is a very safe area to stay, plus you can walk to most attractions or take the trolley.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,647 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe spot for mom and kids

In addition to the Holiday Inn, other downtown hotels to check would be Doubletree, Comfort Inn, Courtyard or Springhill Suites. Hampton Inn or Residence Inn are good as well, but might be more than you plan to spend. Keep in mind that Residence Inn provides a light dinner as well most evenings.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe spot for mom and kids

All these places put you right in the action without needing to drive, the downtown tourist area isn't too big and easy to walk around, and very safe

Barnhart
Level Contributor
605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe spot for mom and kids

Doubletree seems to have the best rates for a decent room. Occasionally they'll have rates that include breakfast at the attached TGI Fridays. If not...just walk to Blue Plate at Court Square, excellent breakfast; or take the trolley to the Arcade.

New Athens, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe spot for mom and kids

I took the trolley to the Arcade when I was just there and they have awesome sweet potato pancakes and their prices are very reasonable. There is also a Denny's right between the ballpark and the Holiday Inn.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe spot for mom and kids

Blue Plate and Arcade are good breakfast stops as suggested. I would end the recommendations there if you are not booking a meal inclusive hotel.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe spot for mom and kids

In my past experience, both the Hampton Inn and the Comfort Inn have good, varied free breakfasts.

8. Re: Safe spot for mom and kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:15