We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun studios-Gracelands-Rockn'roll museum

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sun studios-Gracelands-Rockn'roll museum

Hi,

Am staying at Hampton Inn and Suites,Beale street, and would like to visit all of the above. I understand that there is a free coach running between all of the above. What I would like to know please, if it is possible to visit all these places in a day, and if so, in which order should I visit ? Also, would it be best to do this on a Sunday or Monday ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tom

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun studios-Gracelands-Rockn'roll museum

Rock and Soul Museum is right on Beale, near your hotel. The shuttle circles between there, Graceland and Sun. Note that you must take the studio tour to use it.

You could do all three in one day, but that would really be pushing it if you want to see more than the Graceland mansion. Graceland takes about 2 hours just to tour the mansion and 4 hours or more to see the mansion plus the other exhibits. Sun takes about 90 minutes to 2 hours. I would say Rock and Soul takes about 2 hours or more, depending on how much you want to linger, read, etc. Plus you need to allow time for travel between the sites, lunch, etc.

If you want to do this, take the first shuttle running in the mornings, go to Graceland, go to Sun and then return to Beale.

I would guess that generally Mondays would be less crowded than Sundays. This does not apply on Monday holidays.

BTW, love your avatar. I'm a huge Brian Setzer fan!

http://memphisrocknsoul.org/sunstudioshuttle

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun studios-Gracelands-Rockn'roll museum

Thanks Debs. Will more than likely do Gracelands and Sun together then and Rock and Soul on the other day.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun studios-Gracelands-Rockn'roll museum

You're so welcome. The one advantage of Rock and Soul is that its open until 7 p.m. So, if you get back to Beale and feel like taking it in, you might have time.

new york
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun studios-Gracelands-Rockn'roll museum

I didn't take the shuttle but I did all three in one day. I went to graceland at 9 am, then Sun, then Rock and soul since it's open later.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun studios-Gracelands-Rockn'roll museum

In my opinion, doing all 3 is a really big day! I did Graceland and Sun Studios in the same day, and I had it. The shuttle driver was nice enough to let those of us who were at saying at the Union St hotels off there instead of walking up from Beale St. I had done Graceland 1st,and really wished I had done Sun Studios 1st when I was more refrehed and could appreciate it more.

Since you are staying so close by, save the Rock 'n Roll museum for another day. You'll appreciate everything better that way.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun studios-Gracelands-Rockn'roll museum

Unless you are only in town one day, save RocknSoul as was mentioned above by porelly for the next day and combine with an afternoon tour on the Memphis Mojo Bus departing from just behind your hotel at Backbeat Tours' ticket window on Beale daily. (www.backbeattours.com) You'll get the factsand then the fun when the onboard Rock n Roll performer takes you through the haunts of the early rockers and sings their music.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun studios-Gracelands-Rockn'roll museum

Is it possible, without trying to cram too much in, to go to Sun, Rock n Soul and then the Memphis Mojo Bus in one day. If so what's the best order and would we have to pre-book anything?

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun studios-Gracelands-Rockn'roll museum

That would be possible and I would book the Mojo tour in advance. Note that the Big Mojo Tour includes the guided tour of Sun. The Mojo tour simply includes a stop at Sun, but not tour. Its a very quick stop on the regular Mojo tour.

9. Re: Sun studios-Gracelands-Rockn'roll museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Memphis