We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Memphis

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
127 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Memphis

I will be travelling to memphis sometime next year to visit graceland as my wife is a big fan, is there a good time to visit weather wise & is it enough to see in 3 days as we would hopefully then fly off to see other parts of the states on a 2 or 3 week stay?

Another thing I would like some info on is flights, is it better to book now depending on dates etc or is it better to wait nearer the time.(internal flights over there as well)

I don`t particularly want to hire a car as I`m not that good even on our roads!

Any advice would be great thank you.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,032 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Memphis

I think fall, particularly October, is some of our nicest weather. Summer is very hot and humid and I wouldn't recommend it unless you really, really like the heat. Spring is good, but rainy at least up until mid May. Also, keep in mind that Memphis has a month long festival in May that brings big crowds and higher hotel prices, especially on the weekends.

I think three days here would be fine. It will give you enough time to see some highlights and get a feel of the city.

I'm sorry to say that Memphis has some of the highest airfares in the US. You'll probably get a bit of sticker shock when you start looking at airfares. Once you pick your dates, you should begin checking fares and looking for airfare sales.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Memphis

Right now you won't find better weather conditions anywhere in the world than Memphis, so I would say mid September through as late as mid November, and then April through June 1st would be good times for finding good conditions, keeping in mind that in other years (not this one) rain is more likely in April / May. The high hotel occupancy of "Memphis In May" weekends is something to be cautious of, so book well in advance for those dates. Memphis wasn't the hottest spot in the country through the summer months by a long shot this year, so if plain old hot weather is not disagreeable with you there is nothing wrong with those months.

Staying Downtown is your best option to fill an itenerary with entertaining and historic attractions. You can either hire a tour company like Memphis Best to take you to Graceland and other stops or catch the free Sun Studio Shuttle on the hour to transport you there and then to Sun Studio and back Downtown.

Stroll Beale St. for the sounds and fun, and then take a tour on something like the Memphis Mojo Tour (www.backbeattours.com) or guided Segway tours of Downtown.

Visit the Peabody Hotel, see the March Of The Ducks and take a Hotel history tour with the Historian to get more local flavor.

Take a Riverboat ride or a 3 to 11 night cruise from the docks at the riverfront. (www.americanqueensteamboat company.com) (www.memphisriverboats.net)

Sample the unique smoked meats and fried chicken found all over town.

The Memphis Zoo is rated at the top nationally with Giant Pandas and state of the art Polar Bear and other habitats.(memphiszoo.org)

Have a great visit!

Edited: 19 September 2012, 16:22
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Memphis

You may want to consider visiting New Orleans when you leave Memphis. You would enjoy the train ride. You may want to fly to New Orleans first and take the train to Memphis before you set off on the rest of your trip. New Orleans may have better fares. Enjoy your visit.

www.amtrak.com/city-of-new-orleans-train

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
127 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Memphis

Thanks for the replies I will take time to study different options & keep reading the forum to pick up other ideas.

I am looking forward to going, september sounds good as that`s when we usually travel.

Thanks to you all!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,032 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Memphis

You're so welcome.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
127 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Memphis

Hi, you responded to a question a month or 2 ago regarding a trip to memphis,i have started to look at booking flights & would it be better or more cost effective to fly into a larger city then transfer to memphis either by another flight or perhaps train etc? I am looking for the easiest way to do this as well as keeping an eye on budgets.

I look forward to any help you can give me on the subject,

Thanks,

Paul.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,032 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Memphis

You're in the UK? Is that correct? If so, there are no direct passenger flights to Memphis from anywhere outside the US now. So, you will have to fly in elsewhere and either then fly to Memphis or you can take the train from New Orleans or Chicago.

Memphis is one of the most expensive cities in the US for airfares, so shop carefully and consider your options, including where else you plan to visit.

Elvisgillies and Moviemaker can give you more info on flying here as they are both in the UK.

8. Re: Trip to Memphis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Memphis