We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak station busses/shuttles?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak station busses/shuttles?

My husband and I are coming in for the day Saturday on Amtrak (arrival 6:30am, departure 10:40pm). We were going to wander around, going north to the downtown area and then to Beale Street. Would it be safe to take the riverway walk?

Alternatively, are there bus routes that would go that way? If so, what are the fares and do they require exact change?

Many thanks.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak station busses/shuttles?

Are you talking about this Saturday? If so, downtown will be very crowded because of Music Fest and the weather is not looking that promising. That said, you could walk even right down Main or take the trolley. Downtown is quite compact and easily walkable or you can use the trolley. Yes, you must have exact change for the trolley. BTW, there is a farmer's market at Central Station on Saturday mornings is that interests you.

www.matatransit.com/trolleyservice.aspx

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak station busses/shuttles?

Yes the trolley picks up at the train station's intersection and goes to the north end. The fare is $1, with an all day pass for $2.50 I believe. You have picked the Beale Street Music Festival weekend in which to visit, so you'll have lots of company on the sidewalks and on those trollies. I don't know what the Riverway Walk is, possibly the Riverwalk which borders the main festival grounds in Tom Lee Park. It will parallel the Main St. trolley route most of the way, and it, Main St. the trolley and Beale St. are at least as safe as Chicago's downtown streets with heavy bike, segway and walking patrols all over the place, so no worries! Exact change is needed.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak station busses/shuttles?

Thank you so much!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak station busses/shuttles?

You're so welcome. Have a great day in Memphis!

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak station busses/shuttles?

We recently arrived on Amtrak at 6 in the morning. We walked to our Hotel which was about 10 mins above Beale Street. (About 20 min. walk from station). We did feel a little vulnerable, mind you we did have our suitcases with us which is an obvious sign we were new in Town. We had been to Memphis about 4 years ago so did know where we were going. We were approached when we left the station by an unsavourable character but managed to shake him off. It is pretty quiet at that time and I probably wouldn't advise wandering about. Not sure what time the buses start or anything, we didn't see any on our walk. The Amtrak station is right at the bottom of the "downtown" area. Hope someone else can be more helpful. My advice, be careful.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak station busses/shuttles?

It seems every city has Panhandlers now. Most don't have the social skills or sometimes even the gray matter to know what's appropriate and what's not when approaching people, but most know that Panhandling is against the law in Downtown Memphis. Don't let one like the guy mentioned in the above post strike up some "friendly" conversation which turns into give me some money for booze/ cigarettes, (whatever) They know that if you ignore them they'd better leave you alone. A police station is located in the same building as the train station and officers have issued hundreds of tickets to those guys all around Downtown and one particular judge keeps dismissing the charges, so they go right back to the same old stuff. Don't worry, there's not very many of them and if they see that you know the routine they keep walking.

The trollies are running by the time your train arrives. You'd probably be more comfortable riding the few blocks down to Beale while you are getting oriented. The Arcade, Elvis's old favorite breakfast place is directly across the street from Central Station if you want to have a bite before catching the trolley. Have a great time!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak station busses/shuttles?

Memphis, like most large US cities, has plenty of panhandlers trying to take advantage of good hearted folks. My advice is always to completely ignore them; don't speak to them, don't look at them and certainly don't take anything from them. Coming from Chicago, I'm sure the OP has experience with panhandlers.

downtownmemphiscommission.com/panhandling.asp

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak station busses/shuttles?

Thanks to all of you. The train arrived 45 minutes early, so we took a taxi to the downtown area. BUT the guy charged us $15!

Lesson learned: always ask about rates when entering a cab in a foreign city.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak station busses/shuttles?

You're so welcome. I hope, other than a rude, greedy taxi driver taking advantage of folks, that you had a good day in the city.

10. Re: Amtrak station busses/shuttles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Memphis