We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Graceland

Las Vegas, Nevada
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Graceland

I read all the posts from 2008 regarding how safe it is to stay near Graceland and park in the area. That was five years ago. Could I get an update from people in the know?

We just bought a new BMW and I don't want to lose it on this trip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Graceland

You have 2 hotels at Graceland, HeartBreak Hotel & Days Inn. I have parked many a rental car at both of these locations and never had a problem (the last time was september last year). The HH is a lot safer to park because they have security. Your other option is to stay downtown and get the free Sun studio shuttle to Graceland (you have to take the sun tour) to use the service or just get a cab.

The area around Graceland is perfectly safe, I would not want to stay/park a vehicle at any hotel further away from the Graceland area.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Graceland

I second what moviemaker says, just use common sense as always and don't leave valuables on display, put things in the trunk,

Graceland's huge secured parking lot is also pretty safe, They wouldn't want people to think its not safe to park there would they? That wouldn't be good for busness

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Graceland

Graceland, Graceland Plazza, The Gift shops, Heartbreak Hotel & Days Inn are all perfectly safe & you can walk all around this area. The area north and south arn't good areas to walk around in, I know many people don't even like to get gas around them, I've never had a problem but I'm much more careful after dark.

So the areas that would interest you are perfectly safe

Las Vegas, Nevada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Graceland

Thanks to all of you for your input and advice.

We will be driving from the West coast to the East coast and the car will be packed. So no way can we put stuff in the trunk. We're just deciding if we'll stay outside of Memphis, drive into Graceland in the morning and head out to another destination for the night or suck it up and stay at the Heartbreak Hotel.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Graceland

There seems to be an unusual over reaction here to the highly unlikely possibility of theft of your Beemer in Memphis. You should spend the night at Heartbreak Hotel or park that fine car in a Downtown hotel garage for the night and enjoy a wide choice of great restaurants and maybe see and hear about the places and people who shaped young Elvis's career in Downtown Memphis. You can catch That Sun Studio Shuttle bus moviemaker mentioned, go to Graceland, to Sun and be back Downtown with a half day left to spend or hit the road. Parking in an interstate motor inn parking lot along the route somewhere puts you exactly where car theives target to shop for the type of vehicles they want to hit. They find an easily exited lot usually with no security and they're on the interstate again with their prize in minutes. The majority of auto thefts and breakins happen to travellers that way rather than in a garage or secured lot.

Las Vegas, Nevada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Graceland

We bring up the crime map for the areas we want to visit before we go and the crime map for the area is a little alarming.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Graceland

Unfortunately for the residents, most of the elevated crime rate attributed to Memphis occurs domestically or is drug related within lower socioeconomic zones. Downtown and Graceland attractions are not subject to a higher rate of crime. Both my car and my wife's car have been parked on the street or in garages several days per weekin Downtown Memphis for over nine years without break ins or theft. Of course we're not talking BMWs here!

Las Vegas, Nevada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Graceland

Okay. Thank you for the input. I think we're going to stay at the Heartbreak Hotel.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,112 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Graceland

The area surrounding Graceland is a little seedy, but think of Graceland, HH, Days Inn and the plaza area as an island. Its well patrolled and always busy with tourists. Folks are out walking around those areas, even in the evening. As previously stated, HH in particular has a security check point when entering their parking area.

If you're uncomfortable staying there to the point that you'll spend your trip worrying about your vehicle instead of having fun, stay downtown or in east Memphis.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Graceland

Great posts with great accurate info,

Heartbreak Hotel is a good choice and your car even stuffed with bags will be safe

You can save money not paying to park at Graceland as HH is a 5 min walk from the Graceland ticket office, Just make a bee line for the tail of the Lisa-Marie Airiplane as a guide,

You can see its tail from some rooms of your hotel, which is pretty cool

When Elvis first got the plane he loved it so much he slept in it a few times while on tour rather than checking in to a hotel

You are very wise to check out things like the info of the surrounding area, but relax now, don't worry and have a great time!