We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
LOL, FL
Level Contributor
304 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?

I usually buy tickets ahead of time and then see coupons when I arrive!

Should I buy Platinum tickets for Graceland ahead of time? Are the lines long in July?

Thanks

Barbara

38 replies to this topic
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?

Generally you don't need to buy Graceland tickets ahead except during Elvis week and sometimes his birthday week in January. Graceland has a coupon on their website.

http://www.elvis.com/coupon/default.aspx

Joining the Elvis Insiders Club offers some discounts. You'll have to determine if its worth it for you depending on your plans.

Easthampton...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?

We purchased our platnium tickets at the Memphis Visitor Center with two other sites at a disount today. The visitor center is located right on Elvis Presley Blvd. I think the discount is for getting three venues together at one time and it's located near graceland, has lots of info on things to do and even great souveniers.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?

I bought my tickets at Graceland during my trip 18 months ago, and had no problems. Except for major Elvis "holidays: (August and January), it shouldn't be a problem.

Bristol, England...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?

Hi, I am going to Memphis on 9-11-13 and am wondering if its better to book before I travel or book once I arrive, can anyone give me tips?

LOL, FL
Level Contributor
304 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?

No need to prebook. I have to say that we were very disappointed in the staff, food and surroundings at Graceland. The house was nice, but small and we went through it very quickly. We drove out of our way 3 hours to and from Graceland from Nashville....Really not worth the trip.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?

No I agree it would be difficult to relax and take in Graceland or much of anything else objectively when you cram a hurried trip through such an iconic site in between two three+ hour car rides. If you can't spend the minimum amount of time it takes to rest for one night, see the projects from which Elvis came and stand in Sun Studio where he recorded the tunes which changed the world and then experience the retreat he had to live in and formulate his own world because his overwhelming success precluded living his life in normal society, then you really can't get it. Graceland was never portrayed as a state of the art mansion which competes currently with huge showy estates; you have to put it all in perspective and consider the unlikely story of a poor boy with a musical dream who over achieved beyond normal reality. The food and other amenities you mentioned are varied and more than competitive in Memphis if you take the short amount of time it takes to drive to an area where these things are offered. Give it a chance.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?

Some people do say Graceland is smaller than they thought, Elvis had bigger houses but joked he got lost in them and they didn't feel homely, I think Elvis was right on, Graceland is homely but it's size is deceiving, remember you don't actually walk right into the living room and think of the piano in the music room, I'm sure it wouldn't fit in the average living room, mirrors are screening part of the room to show different views.

Yes someone may well think a 3 hour detour could be better spent elsewhere, but on the other hand many more think it the realisation of a lifetime dream and well worth a 30 hour trip, People used to make the trip from outside the U.S. to just stand at the musical gates before the house was opened to the public.

Now after about 15 million people have been I guess not all of them would recommend doing so as everyone likes different things & you can't please everyone every time

Edited: 20 August 2013, 02:33
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?

Not to belabor the point, but I just noticed that Graceland is currently in the lead in the voting for USA Today's top ten best iconic attractions in the U.S. That's in addition to being the second most visited private residence in the U.S. next only to the White House. Memphis itself is on the list of National Geographic's 20 "must see" places in 2013. As a destination the city and Graceland are on a tremendous amount of bucket lists and return visit plans.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?

I also agree with what has been said. Really, the size of Graceland is testament to Elvis in respect of the fact that it's size reflected Elvis's humble aspirations.

Just because we Elvis fans love the mansion does not mean that everybody else has to think the same. Having said that, Graceland should be viewed in it's present context of an important historical landmark that should be seen for what it is and how it played it's part in what is now perceived has one of the most important historical landmarks in American musical history.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?

I'll put in my two cents. I think Graceland does a very nice job of making their destination appealing to fans and general tourists alike. It seems like they they are always adding something new, they maintain their property and seem to put in a lot of effort in making the attraction fun. The fact that folks think the house is small have to keep in mind when and where it was built. If you want to see small, go to Tupelo and Elvis's beginnings.

I agree that not every attraction will appeal to every person. Some folks might not like the party scene of Beale, some might not see the appeal of Elvis and some folks don't like zoos. Memphis has enough to offer to appeal to everyone.

Reply to: Should I buy Graceland tickets ahead of time? coupons?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted