We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hotels...

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Help with hotels...

My wife and I are planning a trip at the end of July. We will be driving in and don't mind short drives to get to downtown, graceland or any other attractions. That combined with the fact that neither of us drink takes some of the appeal away from the downtown hotels and their prices.

We'd gladly take a larger, clean, comfortable room in a short drive to downtown over a higher priced, and not-so-clean-or-comfortable room downtown. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on places that may fit the bill for us.

Thanks for your time,

Mike

1. Re: Help with hotels...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2006, 16:29
Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with hotels...

The American Way area is not very safe. The hotel may be fine, but the area is very run-down and is getting worse. I have lived here many years and would never even drive over there, let alone stay there. It's just not a good area, crime, gangs, violence, etc.

There is a Holiday Inn on Central on the U of Memphis campus. A very pretty area of town. There are also several hotels off of Poplar in east Memphis, however that can be a long drive going all the way down Poplar. There is a Hampton Inn in the medical district on Union/240. I don't know anything about the hotel however, but it would be the closest non-downtown hotel to downtown. Most other hotels will be out in the suburbs.

A lot of downtown hotel rooms will be comparable to anything you'll find elsewhere in the city. There are several on North Main that are away from the crowded parts of downtown, and would be a short trolley ride to the main downtown area. Springhill Suites is one, and there is a huge Marriott at the very end of the Main St mall area.

3. Re: Help with hotels...

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2006, 16:30
Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with hotels...

Please keep in mind that when a person is only in a city for a few night, it's hard to discern the safety of different areas of town. On topics such as safety, I strongly suggest that people listen to the local people and not other tourists. Local people live here, listen to the news, go to various areas of town, know people in different areas of the city, etc. It is hard for someone to travel to a new city, glance around an area for a few days, and really be able to tell what type of area it is safety-wise. I don't think I could do that in any other city and I would rely on the people who live there to tell me what areas are safest.

I am not trying to say anything negative about the opinions of people who have visited Memphis. But it is hard to read when someone has such a high opinion of an area of town and claims that it was very nice and safe, when I know from living here and watching news that the area is in fact not very good. There are some really great areas of Memphis, and I would hate for a traveler to get stuck in a not-so-good area when there were better options out there.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with hotels...

Thank you all for your replies and sorry for not responding sooner (Sis is getting married this weekend so we've been a little busy).

My wife and I looked at the hotels mentioned above and, while we loved the Spring Hill Inn, it was a bit pricey. We also looked into the downtown Comfort Inn but they were already booked up for the weekend. My wife really liked the spacious rooms and the apparent cleanliness of the Holiday Inn on campus so that will likely be where we stay.

Thanks again for the advice.

Mike

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with hotels...

I think the U of Memphis Holiday Inn would be a good choice. It's across from campus and is basically in a residential neighborhood. So it is quiet, plenty of parking, etc. Central is a main road that goes through town but is residential and not too crowded. You'll be really close to the Pink Palace Museum too if you had any interest in that. It's a very central area and it's easy to get anywhere from there in about 15 or 20 minutes.

7. Re: Help with hotels...

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 00:18