We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

Hi people,

Am looking for some local knowledge here about sending large boxes from USA to Australia via the US Postal Service.

Here is what I am after - we are loooking at sending back home to Australia some large boxes with clothes and shoes in them via the US Postal Service, as we will be continuing our travels through the US and Canada and dont want to carry around all the extra luggage. I have looked on the US Postal website and it is very confusing and doesnt make a lot of sense to us Aussies.

Can someone who is a Memphis local please find out for us how much it will cost to send a box back from Memphis to Sydney, Australia that weighs 60 pounds. We are looking at sending the boxes back via normal post as we dont mind the time frame for it to arrive in Australia as we will be still travelling through the US and Canada.

If any local could pop into a US Postal office and find out for us that would absolutely awesome!!!

Thanks

jezkim1

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,061 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

There's a lot, and I mean a lot, of variables on what the rate will be. For example, to mail something that weights 60 lbs., its has to go Global Express and will cost about $400. To send something 40 lbs., it can go Express Mail Internation and will cost about $300. These prices are approximate as I just entered some random box sizes and used my Zip Code. The price is set by weight, size of box, value of items shipped and the area of the US you ship from. The cheapest method of shipping, First Class Package International is limited to 4 lbs. They also offer some flat rate international boxes that have a weight limit of 20 lbs.

It won't do me any good to go to the post office and just ask because they'd need the package to be exact, but one of the sites below will allow you to put in a weight and size and get an approximate rate. At these prices, you may find it more efficient to just drag the stuff around with you.

pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ab_012.htm#ep1572941

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

I don't see international rates quoted on line, but you could ask directly by dialing 1-800-610-8734.

Gosnells, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

you can buy boxes to send to australia but there is one box that post office sells thats a flat rate back to australia... as post assistant told me dosnt matter if you fill with bricks and send home its flat rate... wish i had of know earlier as cost me min of $700 for postage with all stuff i sent home... just ask whom ever they will point you in right direction good luck

4. Re: Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Memphis