We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - June 9 - 12, 2006

Mke, WI
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip report - June 9 - 12, 2006

Just returned from a long weekend in Memphis and despite the heat - whooo- wheee it was toasty - we had a great time. We usually spend vacations on the beach, but for a change we played tourist. Friday - Graceland - had low expectations for this tour, but was pleasantly surprised. The self guided audio players for the mansion added good color commentary. The cars - very cool to see these classic cars, motorcycles and assorted go-carts. The planes - ok, but not a highlight of the tour. I was amazed by how small Elvis was in the 50's and 60's. Not the man we saw toward the end of his days. He had quite a career and made an impact on American music. We dined at Corky's, the Rendezvous and the Blue Plate Cafe while we were there and wet ribs were our favorite after having tried both sauced and dry rub varieties. Preferred Corky's, but we'll have to try more rib joints on our future trips. And I'm convinced if it doesn't move - someone will deep fry it and call it an appetizer. Despite the severe climb in fat intake it was all good, especially the fried pickles.

Saturday, it was time for the Rock and Soul Museum, Beale Street and the March of the Ducks at the Peabody. Rock and Soul Museum was great. Well worth the time. Schwab's on Beale Street is a must see, if only for the jaw dropping reactions to some of the items for sales inside the store. The only drawback for this trip was the oppressive heat - we baked on Beale Street, fried on Front Street and what we lost in perspiration we gained back in pork. Stay hydrated if you go in the summer months. If you're an iced tea fan - try McAllister's Deli - a quart of the stuff either sweet or unsweet loaded with ice and lemon is a bargain at a $1.59 with all the refills your bladder can handle. We each did half a gallon in about 10 minutes.

Sunday we did the Cotton Museum, it's a good exhibit and tells the story well. Then off to the Memphis Brooks Museum for the Annie Liebovitz photo exhibit. It's only there for a short time, but she has some amazing photos on display. It's American Musicians at their best.

We ran out of time to see the Memphis Zoo, Sun Studios, Stax and the National Civil Rights Museum, but there's always next time.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - June 9 - 12, 2006

Glad to hear you had a good time. I think the Civil Rights Museum is probably the high point of Memphis, after Graceland. Definitely a must-see for any visitor.

And if you think the heat was bad last week....!!!

Memphis
Level Contributor
382 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - June 9 - 12, 2006

Happy to hear you enjoyed yourself! Hope you are able to return someday!

Mke, WI
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - June 9 - 12, 2006

We'll definitely be back, I travel to the Memphis area for business often and having my husband join me for our weekend as tourists made us hungry for more. We returned to 55 degrees yesterday morning - in hindsight that heat wasn't so bad after all.

4. Re: Trip report - June 9 - 12, 2006

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 08:17