We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special celebration in Memphis

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Special celebration in Memphis

Hi everyone!

Three sisters and (maybe) my 3 year old daughter are taking our Mother to Memphis later this week for her 70th Birthday celebration. Lots of questions, so bear with me. Below is our tentative itinerary. Feel free to add suggestions.

Thursday - Drive from St. Louis to Memphis, stop at Elmwood Cemetary (CD car tour) before hotel check-in. Depending on the time, stop at Gus's Fried Chicken on Front St. Check in at Spring Hill Suites on Court Ave. Shower and change for dinner. I'm thinking of surprising my group with a carriage ride at 5:30 or 6pm. Dinner location undecided. Suggestions? Would love to try Deja Vu's, but believe it's only open for lunch? Have they opened a new location on Main St.?

Friday - Sun Studios, Graceland, lunch, shopping. Have no idea where to catch the trolley or what is nearby for a decent (no mall) shopping and lunch. Back to hotel. Shower, change, cocktails, dinner at The BBQ Shop, evening on Beale Street. Would love to see the Beale St. Flippers and since my 13 year old is a gymnist, I think she would really enjoy. Do you know where they 'flip' and what time? I would rather my daughter leave the nightlife area by 9pm - she'll go back to the hotel with Grandma.

Sat - Civil Rights Museum, Slave Haven/Burke Estates and Cotton Exchange. Is this too much for one day? And in what order would make the most sense in regards to taking the Trolley?

Shower, change, dinner undecided. Beale St.

Sunday - Gibson's donuts as a treat on the way home.

Additional questions:

We definitely want to visit, Graceland, Sun Studios, Civil Rights Museum, Slave Haven and The Cotton Exchange, Beale Street, Gus's Fried Chicken, The BBQ Shop, Deja Vu's and maybe Pop's Deli and Gibson's Donuts. Are all of these places on the Trolley line??

We're staying at Springhill Suites on W. Court; where is the nearest Trolley Stop and the best place to buy a 2 or 3 day pass?

Will the hotel have maps of Memphis and the Trolley line at the front desk? The ones I can find on line are too small and my printer isn't working correctly anyway. I'd like to familiarize myself when we arrive.

Is there a little drugstore near our hotel where we can buy sodas, etc. for our room, preferably within walking distance?

My mother has mobility issues - but refuses to allow us to rent a scooter for her. Are any of the places mentioned above a far walk from where the Trolley lets off?

Either Friday or Saturday night, my daughter will go back to the hotel with Grandma. My sisters and I will stay on Beale and do a little bar hopping. We LOVE music of any kind, but Blues is our fav. Would appreciate suggestions on a couple of the best bars for a couple of drinks, tunes and dancing. Is there a cover for each bar or can you buy a hopper pass? If so, where?

If there is anything else that you can think of that would make this birthday extra special for my Mom, I'd love to hear it.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Special celebration in Memphis

There is a Maggie Moo's downtown on Main, but I can't think of any other downtown places except for the typical desserts served at most places. If you're out and about in your car, I highly recommend Jerry's Sno Cones on Wells Station. Its a Memphis institution and so yummy on a hot day. Its just a little walk up stand with litte or no actual seating available.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Special celebration in Memphis

Thanks, Deb! We might just give that a try.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Special celebration in Memphis

Looking forward to your trip report.

14. Re: Special celebration in Memphis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:16