We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking Mom 83 to memphis need safe but convenient HELP!

Pennsylvania
14 posts
Save Topic
taking Mom 83 to memphis need safe but convenient HELP!

Hi I am taking my mom (83) and my daughter (16) to memphis before heading to Nashville for FCCLA leadership conference where my daughter will run for national President. We will be staying at the Opryland resort for this, but I wanted to take my mom to Graceland 1st. She has always loved Elvis, this will be her first time on a big plane also. But I am making myself crazy trying to get a hotel with a bit of everything, but not outrageous. Thought I liked French Quarter suites but then read up on it here , then thought the Holiday in American way would be nice (loved the in-room jacuzzi, then read here about that area not being very good. I don't want Mom to be worried while we're there. After 3 nights of being up until 5am researching I decided to just ask and see where that got me. Please help! TIA Lenora PS the heartbreak hotel is full (7/5-7/8)

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taking Mom 83 to memphis need safe but convenient HELP!

there are a variety of hotels around I-240 and Poplar Ave.

Embassy Suites, Hilton, Marriott Courtyard, Hampton Inn & Suites, Holiday Inn, are all nice hotels, in safe area of town. Restaurants and shopping close by. Agreed that American Way may not be the most desirable part of the city.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taking Mom 83 to memphis need safe but convenient HELP!

I agree, there are a bunch of hotels around the Poplar/East Memphis area. There are a few that may actually be listed as being on Sanderlin, which is just behind Poplar. Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Courtyard, Doubletree, etc are around the 240/Poplar area. This is also a Hilton right there. That is a fine part of town and right near the interstate and thus easy to get to Graceland since that seems to be the only reason you are coming.

Pennsylvania
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: taking Mom 83 to memphis need safe but convenient HELP!

Graceland is my main focus, but the more investigating I do the more neat & interesting things I find, if you wouldn't mind, please see my next post about this american pkwy and tell me what you think! This whole vacation actually started with my mom bumming out all the time that my father had always promised to take her on a big plane, and he passed away without ever doing it. So my daughter's conference wasthe perfect opportunity, and Graceland an extra bonus!

Thanks Lenora

London England
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: taking Mom 83 to memphis need safe but convenient HELP!

Hi HoBo6465

I want to wish your daughter every success in running for the Presidency, but politely suggest a name change if her name is also HoBo (not many votes likely with a name like that, though I quite like it, but am not eligible to vote being from 'out of town').

I'm sure you'll love Memphis whatever you decide.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: taking Mom 83 to memphis need safe but convenient HELP!

Lenora..American way is a dump avoid that

If you're heading to Nashville, consider staying a bit further out Poplar towards the Germantown area, and Wold Creek Pkay or in Cordova, you can jump on I 40 at the intersection of Germantown Pkwy and I 40

whatever you do stay away from American Way area and the Airport and anwhere around Summer and I 240 area, it's real BAD

Pennsylvania
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: taking Mom 83 to memphis need safe but convenient HELP!

Thank you all for your input, I believe I have narrowed it down to 2, tell me how you feel about these...(i'm horrible @ making decisions!)

1. Courtyard by Marriot Memphis East Lenox

2. Hampton Inn Suites Shady Grove

I also saw Scottish Inns on Presley blvd...but no input on this anywhere, I guess not too many stay there?

Thanks again,

Lenora

PS the HoBo name goes back to nicknames my husband and I had for each other in HS now I always use it for my screen names.

;-)

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taking Mom 83 to memphis need safe but convenient HELP!

I would stay away from Scottish Inns. Mostly older hotels, pretty run down, and Elvis Presley Blvd is not in the best part of town.

Of the other 2, I would probably pick the Marriott Courtyard, mainly because there would be more options to eat fairly close by. With the Hampton Inn off Shady Grove, I believe there is a deli and and Wendys close by, and that would be about it.

Both would have fairly easy access to the Interstate. Good luck.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taking Mom 83 to memphis need safe but convenient HELP!

If the Shady Grove Hampton Inn is the one by Baptist East, I would suggest NOT staying there only for the fact that they are doing major construction right there on the bridge and it's been an absolute traffic jam nightmare the last 10 or so times I've been out that way.

Pennsylvania
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: taking Mom 83 to memphis need safe but convenient HELP!

ok I'm tying the rope into a noose shape!!! I called for reservations and they gave me the name of another Marriot family hotel that was more like the sleeping arrangements I was looking for! AHHHH!! Like I needed more choices! I'm sorry but how is SpringHill Suites Memphis East/Galleria area??

I thank you all sooo much for your help! Again!

Lenora

Pennsylvania
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: taking Mom 83 to memphis need safe but convenient HELP!

And yet another alternative!! Drury Inn & Suites...Horn Lake MS???

Seems to be a lesser drive to graceland etc...and a Bob Evans adjacent....Love that sausage gravy...mmm...mmmm...good :-P

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be able to decide in time to get on the plane!!!

Thanks again,

Lenora