We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Sites Other than Graceland

New York, New York
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Sites Other than Graceland

My mother in law is in transit to take my two daughters and niece to Memphis primarily so she can see Graceland (huge Elvis fan, life's dream etc.). They will stay a couple days, and I'm sure there are other attractions related to Elvis my mother in law may want to visit (ideas?) but they will have time for other attractions. Looking on this site for ideas, many looked interesting but nothing stood out. As we are from New York, I thought something truly Memphis would be great, something you can't see at home. I was leaning towards the rock and soul type museums places or something about slavery...Ideas?

Also, any suggestions for food would be appreciated, I don't want to see them at Denny's or the equivalent if they can help it.

Thanks in advance, there is nothing like trip advisor for the best information!

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Sites Other than Graceland

travelbug22,

To stay in the Memphis Music vein, check out Sun Studio and Stax in order to be exposed to the origins of 80% (IMO) of authentic American popular music. Beyond those the museum of Southern Folklore on the Main St. Trolley Line, Gibson Guitar Factory, which produces B.B. King's "Lucille" and the "Les Paul" model,

and The Smithsonian Rock n Soul Museum are all fun resources for a Rock n Roll discovery trip. You might be familiar with two of Broadway's Tony winners of 2010: "Memphis" the musical and "The Milion Dollar Quartet", the storylines of which took place totally within the areas which your ladies will traverse on their Memphis visit. Tell them not to rush through the area and to keep their ears open. Book a ride on Backbeat Tours' Memphis Mojo Bus complete with a live Entertainer / Guide and do the Ducks at the Peabody Hotel.

Visit the Civil Rights Museum, the old Lorraine Motel, which before the terrible event was a place where Black and White musicians gathered to collaborate on some of the most iconic music in the world. Tell them to make sure to book their rooms Downtown so that they can be within walking or trolley distance of most attractions. Why don't you come with them?!

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Sites Other than Graceland

As to slavery, there is no legitimate structure or portrayal of proven events to visit in Memphis in the form of an attraction. That's not to say that there isn't an attraction which attempts to sell a portrayal of this wretched condition.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,157 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Sites Other than Graceland

You don't say what ages the daughters and niece are, but are they young enough to enjoy some attractions aimmed at kids? For them, I'd suggest our amazing zoo, the botanical gardens as they have a great children's garden area, the Children's Museum of Memphis, Pink Palace and Mud Island.

For dining, Memphis is famous for its barbecue. Downtown, they might enjoy Rendezvous, Central or A&R. Other dining choices downtown might include Hueys, Gus's Fried Chciken, Kooky Kanuck, Aldos Pizza, Blue Plate or any of the other dozens of restaurant choices.

Are they staying downtown? If not, let us know where they're staying and we can make some restaurant suggestions based on that.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Sites Other than Graceland

Try get to tupelo were elvis was born it's amazing

5. Re: Favorite Sites Other than Graceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Memphis
Recent Conversations