We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very brief visit Trip Report

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,261 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Very brief visit Trip Report

We stayed just one night in Memphis on our way to New Orleans. I had several things planned to do while we were there for less than 24 hours, and we accomplished them all!! We arrived in Memphis around 10 a.m., and went to the Slave Haven house. I had read that the neighborhood was iffy, but we didn't have any problems at all. The Slave Haven tour was very interesting and I will post a report about it. After that, we went to the Civil Rights Museum. I was concerned that we wouldn't get to see much because of the renovations that were going on, but we spent over two hours there and could have easily spent longer. We stood on the balcony where Martin Luther King was assassinated, read about the conspiracy theories, etc. We are looking forward to going back there again after the renovations are complete.

We ran over to the hotel to check in and found the hotel to be very nice, especially considering the fact that it was about half the cost of most hotels in the downtown area. We stayed at the Comfort Inn Downtown. The lobby was nicely decorated and there was a rooftop pool, but we didn't have a chance to use it. Our room was very nice, the carpeting looked brand new and we had a flat screen tv. I requested an upper floor room, and got the top floor! We had a great view of the bridge from our room - very pretty at night.

After checking in, we made our way over to Mud Island and rode the tram over to 'walk the Mississippi'. It was fun for a while, but it is a very long walk if you decide to do all of it. Interesting enough, but not something I would go back to again.

We took a short break in the room before heading out to Beale Street. Walked over to catch the trolley, and it was packed - standing room only. We squeezed on and I thought that they won't stop to get any more people because it was already so full - but the conductor stopped twice more to allow more people on! It was fun though, everyone was in a good mood and all going to Beale Street, and thankfully it was just a short ride.

We wandered along Beale for a short time and then went to Silky O'Sullivans. The food was wonderful and we really enjoy their entertainer, Barbara Blue. We stayed there for quite a while enjoying the food, drinks and music. We made a stop out to the courtyard area to see the goats before leaving.

I see that panhandlers are mentioned on this forum frequently, but we weren't approached by a single person while we were there. Maybe the city is cracking down?

We went back to the hotel around 11 - we took the trolley to the street where the hotel is located and had a block walk to the hotel. We felt perfectly safe the whole time we were in Memphis.

We had a wonderful, but too short, visit, and hope to return soon. Thanks Deb for all of your excellent advice!!

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Beale Street
Beale Street
6,600 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,287 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very brief visit Trip Report

You're so welcome. Thanks for the great report. You squeezed a lot of fun in a short time! Hope you had a great time in NOLA as well.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
445 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very brief visit Trip Report

nice trip report! We are headed to Memphis in a week or so and are also staying at the Comfort Inn!

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very brief visit Trip Report

The more the merrier! Be sure to do as jlr51 did and ask for a high "view" room at the Comfort. Those windows are not all that wide, but as I recall they are full length and provide a nice backdrop. The ones on the northwest corners have the M Bridge views which are nice at twilight as those twinkling bridge lights are coming on.

Edited: 23 October 2013, 23:07
4. Re: Very brief visit Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Memphis