We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurant on Beale Street

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best restaurant on Beale Street

What is the best restaurant for lunch on Beale Street? Not Hard Rock, but a very good local restaurant we can eat at while there in May. Thanks!

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restaurant on Beale Street

Many people like Miss Polly's for Home cooking / Soul Food. (154 Beale). Blues City Cafe @ Beale and 2nd serves very good Memphis Style BBQ<d Ribs, Catfish, Chicken, etc.and good sides. If you crave fish, just a block up 2nd from Beale you'll find Flying Fish w/ a fish camp atmosphere and baskets of fish, shrimp and gumbos - quick and reasonable.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 04:25
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,061 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restaurant on Beale Street

Its really going to depend on what you like. There are dozens of restaurants on Beale or within a short walk or trolley ride from Beale. On Beale, for barbecue, I'd recommend Blues City Cafe, for a mid range meal, B. B. Kings or for something a little nicer, maybe Itta Bena, upstairs from B. B. Kings. If you widen your area to downtown, you might like barbecue from Rendezvous or Central or maybe even fried chicken from Gus's.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restaurant on Beale Street

We will have a rental so anywhere is good. BBQ is great...I think we are going to try BB kings as our 14 yr daughter absolutely loves music and is an up and coming singer (and of course loves Elvis). Thanks for the ideas :)

Edited: 03 February 2014, 11:18
scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restaurant on Beale Street

Your daughter has excellent taste, Rum Boogie has live music too and your daughter will be allowed to go in and eat with you, don't go too late for dinner, it's easier if you go eat before say 7:30 I've seen strollers in

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,061 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best restaurant on Beale Street

You're so welcome.

Anguilla...
Level Contributor
354 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best restaurant on Beale Street

We've only eaten and a handful on Beale. I won't say negatives about the ones we haven't eaten at. There are several great restaurants up and down Main and elsewhere in the Downtown area. There are good restaurants outside of Downtown for sure.

We personally love King's Palace Cafe. First restaurant we ate at after we got married, so there is some bias there - but 13 years later the Shrimp Velvet is still great and so is their Gumbo. I'll say there ribs are as good as Blues City Cafe.

Blues city cafe has a great variety, but be careful when you eat there. I think the foods better when they're busy - in the afternoon you could get something from under a heat lamp (like the authentic catfish that was too tough to eat - I live in MS, my grandfather was a commercial fisherman who caught wild catfish and I worked on a catfish farm - I know catfish). Genereally it's a good restaurant.

Dyer's is a cool spot for burgers and make sure you get the onion rings.

Wet Willie's is great for a drink.

We haven't hit many of the newer restaurants but Huey's is great for burgers. We found Texas De Brazil to be one of the most over rated places we've ever eaten. We're broke foodies and eat in Nola when we can. We cook all sorts of meat, from farm raised (chicken/steak/pork) to wild game and Texas De Brazil's meat is blah. Their salad bar is off the chain.

I hate that the downtown Butcher Shop seems to be closed, we'd recommend that.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
846 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best restaurant on Beale Street

I love McEwens on Monroe for lunch and the Little Tea Shop if it is still open. I also love Boggie's in the Brinkley Plaza. Casual and delicious. Try their potato salad. Also a very nice place for lunch would be Flight. Very expensive but worth the $. One of the best restaurants in Memphis in my opinion. I like the bar on the roof of the Madison Hotel if the weather is good. It has a beautiful view of the Mississippi River. Good for happy hour on TH and Friday afternoon.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best restaurant on Beale Street

Just up a bit towards the river is Huey's. It's a locally owned business specializing in their own seasoning for burgers and sandwiches. I love them.

But I really take the trolley or car a few blocks up to The Arcade for lunch. Carved ham sandwiches, carved turkey sandwiches. Plate lunches. Soups. It's my favorite downtown.

Downtown business people favor The Tea Den. Try it out, you will like it.

9. Re: Best restaurant on Beale Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Memphis