We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stax museum

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
stax museum

I have been looking for things to do in Memphis and the stax museum interests me just wandered about its location and the time it would take to enjoy the expieriance?

thanks for any advice

HeathersDad

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stax museum

I have not been inside, but the museum is not in a very nice part of town. It should be safe during the day however. It is not within walking distance of anything and you'd have to drive. I'm not sure what it is like on the inside, but it was recently renovated. It would not be at the same level as the Rock and Soul or Civil Rights Museum however. More like Sun Studios, I imagine. If you are heavily interested in music, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stax museum

Hi HeathersDad.

I visited the Stax museum 5 months ago, if you're a fan of the Stax sound then obviously it's a must. It is more like a museum and not really like the Sun Studio tour (also very good and a definite must-do I think) which another poster has suggested, as an effort is made to refer to a general history of black music with references to gospel influences and the like. There's a lot of memorabilia on show and Isaac Hayes' customized cadillac is quite a sight to see. There's some pretty nice merchandise on sale in the museum shop (I've got a few funky Stax t-shirts now)

All in all if you're a music fan then it's well worth a trip to pass a few hours.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stax museum

In reference to that as well, Isaac Hayes has a restaurant downtown in the Peabody mall. I don't think he's there often, if at all, but it seems to be a pretty popular place. I have not eaten there myself but have heard some good things.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stax museum

Sun Studio is actually really small as far as a museum, Stax has a lot of artifacts to look at in a rather large space. It is my favorite attraction in Memphis, the opening video alone is moving, Steve Cropper explains what Stax means to him. I think it is way above any other museum in Memphis. This museum is a must see.

Gloucester, England
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stax museum

Gotta agree with what's been written above about STAX.

We did the usual Music sights around Memphis and for me (if I was pushed to pick a favourite) I would say that I enjoyed it most.

It is in a rather run down part of town but it's well worth the effort to drive there and look around the Museum. It took myself and my wife a good 3 hours to slowly meandre around I enjoyed every minute of it - There was a heart and soul to the building that really struck a chord with me.

You won't regret your visit there.

Steve.

6. Re: stax museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 03:19