We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking For Input!

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Topic
Looking For Input!

My husband & I have decided to brave Bonnaroo this year. I know, but it's our 15 yr. old son's dream trip, & we're going to do it. :p From there, we plan to visit Memphis &/or Nashville. After Bonnaroo, mom & dad will be more than ready for a nice hotel & some fine dining. :-D

We'd like to visit both cities, but will be kind of limited for time. We'll probably spend a night, maybe 2, in Nashville, but think our son will enjoy Memphis more. He likes all kinds of music, but country is his least favorite. He doesn't really listen to any of the current country artists, but enjoys listening to some of the legends like Johnny Cash. Rock & Roll is his favorite, but he also enjoys Jazz, The Blues, etc. He's just really into music.

From what I've read, I think he'll definitely want to go to these:

Sun Studio

National Civil Rights Museum

Rock & Roll Museum

Gibson Guitar Factory Tour

Graceland

I've also read about Beale Street & the nightly blues music. We would be there on week nights. Is there music then, & can our son attend? We would all really enjoy that. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Last question for now......

We travel with a mini-doberman pinscher. As far as hotels go, we're hoping the Westin will be open by then. If not, what nice, pet friendly hotel would you recommend in a good area that's convenient to the things we want to do?

I've noticed the locals are very helpful, when planning a trip to Memphis. I want to thank you in advance for your help.

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking For Input!

Oops! I forgot to ask, if there was anything else you think our son would enjoy doing. I'll inquire about things like fine dining later. Thanks again. :-)

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking For Input!

You'd have to call about dogs, no clue here. Definitely stay downtown though.

Beale is 24/7 basically. how old is he? If his parents are with him, any club should let him in. Especially week nights, it's not so crowded then and is an older crowd.

Keep in mind, Graceland, Civil Rights, Rock and Soul...those are at least 1/2 a day each. Gibson takes about an hour, same with Sun, depending on how much you walk around yourself.

There's really no country here, especially not downtown.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking For Input!

Oh he's 15, sorry I missed that earlier. it sounds like he's a lot more mature than most 15 year olds, liking blues and jazz. Outside of Beale, there are a few other things teens may like. Jillians is a large sports bar/restaurant/bowling/dance club/gaming place that he might like at night. Big Foot Lodge is a restaurant that serves massive 4 lb burgers (you eat it, it's free). Goofy things, but he might like that for dinner.

That is very, very amazing of you to brave Bonnaroo for him. From what I understand, it is a hot, HOT HOT HOT and muddy mess. I can manage Beale St Musicfest, but there's no way I could handle Bonnaroo! :)

Keep in mind, I have heard the Westin wll be charging around $300 a night for a room. Just what I have read. The Peabody and the Madison downtown are the most elite hotels now. Don't know if they allow dogs though. Peabody might....they have all those dang ducks walking around after all :)

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking For Input!

Thanks for the info. You're a real asset to this board. Our son is mature for his age. He always has been. I think he'll really enjoy Memphis, much more than Nashville. I'd like to see them both though, if we have time. I'll check out your suggestions. Thanks again.

5. Re: Looking For Input!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 12:20