We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

memphis for teenagers

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
memphis for teenagers

I am planning a trip to Memphis in Aug 2007 with my husband and 15 year son. My husband and son both love live music so on the face of it Memphis looks ideal. I'm not sure though if my son will be allowed into any of the live music venues.

Also can anyone tell me more regarding how safe the city is, I keep reading conflicting reports .

I would like to hear from people who travelled with teenagers please.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: memphis for teenagers

There have been other posts in here, including one recently, about traveling with teens.

At night downtown on Beale, it is not a family friendly environment. Under 21 cannot get in anywhere. However, if a parent is with the child he/she may be able to get into a club. I think that would be at the discretion of the doorman. However, Beale is loud, crazy, full of drunk people, and not somewhere I would want my child to be. Especially the later it gets, there is less blues and more rap/hip hop downtown. Big dance clubs are taking over the small blues clubs unfortunately.

Downtown is safe, just a ton of bums. The rest of Memphis is a crap shoot. Neighborhoods go from really good to really bad in a matter of blocks. However, 90% of tourist things are downtown (other than Graceland and the zoo) so there isn't much of a reason for you to be anywhere else in town. Graceland is not in a good area of the city though. The zoo is in a wonderful area.

You might try calling some of the bars you want to go, and see if they allow under 21 year olds if a parent is present. The earlier you go, the better chance at them not even carding at the door.

England
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: memphis for teenagers

I hope you enjoy your trip... we are in Memphis earlyAugust and I've posted a question about music...as we also want to see live music with our 2 boys 14 and 17 ...it does sound a bit unsafe in parts.....

Arkansas
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: memphis for teenagers

I3414

I wish I could give you accurate information on which venues allows what...I'll make a point of asking next time we're on Beale...we've noticed that it changes with times of the year or if the establishment serves full menu, etc. Our children have eaten with us at Rum Boogie with live music in the past...good food...but nothing I'm raving about. Also, during lunch and early afternoon there is live music at several places. Please take some of the comments on the forum with a grain of salt...downtown is not overun with bums..."drunk" patrons can be found on Beale at times but, it really depends on if there is a big event or which night of the week it is...with late night on Friday and Saturday being busy. Always a friendly police force in effect who have been known to enjoy a laugh or two themselves at the antics without putting a damper on anyone's fun. We are downtown during the week and on the weekends. It is fine...normal common sense, of course, applies. There are other places besides Beale that have live music you just have to do a bit of looking. Come and have fun!

4. Re: memphis for teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 19:17