We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay & things to do near Portmeirion

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay & things to do near Portmeirion

A friend & I are looking to get away for a few days (next week, we like to challenge ourselves). We both fancy visiting Portmeirion but driving from London (miminum 5hrs ) is too far for a day trip & a bit much for a just overnight job, so we'd probably stay for 3 or 4 nights. I don't know this area at all (tho I stayed at butlins as a child) so not sure where is a good place to base ourselves or what else there would be to do. I'm not that much of a country walks person (when you've seen 1 tree etc.) & (as am getting on a bit) not up to 3 hr treks. my friend is fitter (she does the annual Marsden March) not to mention 10 years younger. any assistance would be much appreciated

5 replies to this topic
Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,591 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay & things to do near Portmeirion

I recently stayed in Borth y Gest, just round the bay from Portmeirion. If you're happy with self catering I'd give an unqualified recommendation for St Agnes, a property which has uninterrupted views across the harbour. It's wonderful. One of the sea facing rooms at Bron Avon B and B is a good alternative. It is a very homely place, suited perhaps to the older age group with conservative tastes and cannot be faulted for cleanliness.

Though you might be slightly walking-averse, you simply must walk along the coastal path for a mile or so where woods drop down to sandy coves and rocky outcrops. You'll think you've been transported back in time to a setting for an Enid Blyton adventure.

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
962 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay & things to do near Portmeirion

Consider Criccieth as a place to stay, plenty of guest houses and it's on the train route. Not sure how you'd get to Portmeirion by public transport. Porthmadog is more central, but it's many years since I stayed there, so I've no idea about accommodation.

Things to do: Welsh Highland Railway and/or Ffestiniog railway.

Day rover on the Cambrian Coast line is good value and gives you a chance to see several places as well as a great trip down the coast.

Porthmadog harbour is attractive and worth a short visit.

Harlech castle.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay & things to do near Portmeirion

thanks for the suggestions

we're planning to drive so getting around won't be a problem

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay & things to do near Portmeirion

Another vote for Criceith. What's your planned route ? Quick as possible or great scenery ?

Mike

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay & things to do near Portmeirion

Very confused where to stay for a 2 nights in August in Portmeirion- The Hotel or The Casttel??

I don't think the self catering cottages will accept a 2 night stay???

The Hotel seems closer and more accessible to the village, but The Castell has better accommodation, it seems on the TA reviews.

It looks like the Hotel has better views but can't be sure about this either

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Madame Josephine

Reply to: Where to stay & things to do near Portmeirion
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Portmeirion
Recent Conversations