We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Sayulita and then cab to San Pancho?

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
38 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Sayulita and then cab to San Pancho?

Hi all!

We're heading to San Pancho this December and wanted to know if the bus/cab combo is the way to go. Or should we spring for the cab all the way from the PVR airport?

I read an old forum thread on TA where it said that a bus from the airport to Sayulita was about 20 pesos and then the cab from Sayulita to SP was about $15. Is that more or less accurate today? About how long is that initial bus trip? Pleasant? Not pleasant? We're flying in around 330ish in the afternoon.

I've heard about people leaving the airport on foot and grabbing a cab for about half the price than a cab in the airport. Is this accurate? Is this a safe bet?

We're bringing a couple of carry-ons and one checked bag. Do you think this is too much to schlep for the bus/cab combo?

Thanks in advance!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
583 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Sayulita and then cab to San Pancho?

I think it's a reasonable option to save money. I haven't taken the bus but have heard of people who have and it's no problem. The car ride is about 1 hour total so I would count on 1.5 hours for the bus/cab combo. The pricing sounds about right. Do not know what the cheaper fare is if you go off the airport property but I'm sure it is cheaper.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Sayulita and then cab to San Pancho?

I have heard of people crossing the pedestrian bridge to avoid the more expensive federally licensed airport cabs especially for such a long ride . We tried this several years ago and at that time the city cabs would not pick us up , possibly to avoid trouble from the Airport cabs . What we ended up doing is taking the airport cab the shortest distance south and then a city cab to our destination .

Another option that may offer good value and a ride right to your destination is a shuttle service . This can be a cost effective option at other airports and may be in PV . Our recent cab fare to Bucerias from the airport was 300 pesos and under 200 for the return trip as an example .

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Sayulita and then cab to San Pancho?

The bus or taxi ride through the mountains is gorgeous. Take a look at the #1 Top Question on the Puerto Vallarta forum, on the far right side of the page. It's all about taxis from the airport. Have a great trip!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
38 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Sayulita and then cab to San Pancho?

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to Sayulita and then cab to San Pancho?

It's fun and super easy taking the bus. We'll be doing it this December too. It's the point when I feel like my holiday has started. Sayulita is the end of the line so you don't need to worry where to get off. You walk a few blocks into town to the plaza to get a taxi - we go down to the beach bar first and have a margie, then go to the corner store to buy our cheapo beach blanket for the week and then head to the plaza to grab a taxi to San Pancho. There are many taxis there all the time.

If you want explicit instructions for the bus let us know.

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to Sayulita and then cab to San Pancho?

Sayulita is NOT the end of the line for the buses. We went to San Francisco last year for two weeks and returning again for 33 days Feb/March 2014. We are a healthy athlethic couple in our 50's and travel with one small suitcase and a couple backpacks. Buses are so easy safe cheap and good shape and I think about maybe 40-45 pesos ($3.50) each only from the airport to San Francisco and take only around an hour. Taxis are likely to be $50 to 60 US so big difference. Go out the airport and a short walk (40 feet) to the left to the stairs and walkway overtop the highway. Soon numerous buses will come and lots of writing on most so if you're not sure ask the driver if it goes right to San Francisco -- it will loop into Sayulita but that is not the end of the line ---in fact they carry on up to Guayabitos/La Penita. You should know where you are headed in San Francisco to meet your rental people (Google map it beforehand) - best to arrange to meet them at a particular place on the main cobblestone street like a popular restaurant for example - and most will likely have a vehicle - could be a golf cart - to take you to the rental. Once there continue to enjoy the easy cheap and safe buses the locals use - just go out to the highway and wait - they start running at like 3am (yeah right - like I'm gonna be on that one) to visit Sayulita market days 5 minutes south and La Penita market day 15 minutes north. Or further up the coast.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
583 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus to Sayulita and then cab to San Pancho?

my only caution with taking the bus all the way to San Pancho is your checked bag...you will have to schlep it all the way into town (about 1/2 mile)...if you bus to Sayulita and then taxi to San Pancho you can go to your end destination more easily.

Sayulita, Mexico
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus to Sayulita and then cab to San Pancho?

SO easy to take the bus grab it from the other side of the airport and ask for sayulita then you can take a bus from there right to san pancho.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,616 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus to Sayulita and then cab to San Pancho?

From Sayulita to San Panco, a taxi should only be 100 pesos flat rate(about $8 US)

10. Re: Bus to Sayulita and then cab to San Pancho?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about San Francisco
Recent Conversations