We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Rincon right for us?

Which Rincon de Guayabitos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Is Rincon right for us?

We've been looking at the reviews for the Decameron Los Cocos for a few years now and have always thought it looked fantastic. We stayed at the Royal Decameron in 2010 and absolutely love it. Highlights for us included the food (we adored the food, though the alcohol was just so-so), the beach walks into Bucerias, and proximity via bus to many other little towns (we love to explore). We are in our early/mid forties, traveling without kids and still like to have a few drinks and meet new people.

So I ask: is Rincon the place for us? Advice welcome!

Rincon de...
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Rincon right for us?

The Jaltemba Bay area (Guayabitos, La Penita and Los Ayala) is quiet, charming and provides an "off the beaten path" experience. It is less touristy than Bucerias, probably a little more relaxed and certainly less upscale. The people are friendly and the food is fabulous.

If you are uncertain, I might recommend that you book part of your vacation in Bucerias and the other in Guayabitos. Be sure to spend Thursday in La Penita so you can go to the Tianguis (open-air market)!

Allyson

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Rincon right for us?

Thank-you Allyson, I think that we will either return to Bucerias or come to Rincon. The more research I do, the more convinced I am that Rincon will be perfect for us. We really like to do little day trips to other small villages, and it looks like we'd have several options for doing so while based in Rincon. I realize Bucerias is more "touristy" and that isn't necessarily what we like anyway. We made it to the market in La Penita when we were staying in Bucerias and loved it. The key ingredients, for us, would be CLEAN rooms (basic is fine - I don't need fancy lotions) GOOD, HEALTHY food (authentic Mexican a plus), a swimmable beach, and lots of local flavour.

Allyson - since I have you here - can you confirm for me that not all of the buildings in the Decameron Los Cocos have balconies?? I don't need a huge room, or a view of the ocean per se, but we DO need a balcony! Thanks!

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Rincon right for us?

I cut this out of an old thread that you probably have read because there are only so many off season threads to read on this forum. Maybe that`s the charm of the place, that it`s not overcrowded and too crazy. The beach is great with firm ,flat sand for walking and wasn`t overcrowded even at Christmas time. There were lots of people but there is lots of beach for all of them to share. The building 4 rooms all have balconies with a nice view of the bay. When we stayed at Los Cocos they also had a beach area with daily hotel bus service to Lo De Marcos ( I think) for a free change of venue for a day or two if you wish. We didn`t use this service but it was available. Bring a soft sided cooler bag for in the room and a large mouthed insulated mug for a travelling beverage and you`re all set. Three little towns for the price of one and that price at Los Cocos can save you some money for beach treats and churros and a further excursion north to Chacala.

This is not exactly what you asked but some good advice we heeded was to upgrade to the better rooms for all guests. As far as upgrades go their's is very cheap and gets you to a newer building. This building (#4 I think) is farther from the beach and while that seems negative it is still very close and the rooms have more privacy and all face the ocean from a height that offers great bay views, a more private, quieter pool and a cozier breakfast and lunch restaurant that doubles as an a la carte dinner place and could be where a wedding dinner might be held. It is very nice of Candycat to offer the wedding info but I would not count on it applying at Los Cocos. Keep in mind that when searching Canadian charter all inclusive hotels under the all south or all Mexico criteria the Decameron Los Cocos often comes up as one of the cheapest possible AI`s to stay at. Having said that the place is an inexpesive AI we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and had no complaints other than some repetition in the food offerings, a complaint that I have heard from people staying at places close to twice the price. We liked it and we already liked the town (s). Cheers

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Rincon right for us?

We have stayed both at DLC (twice) and the RDC in Bucerias (three times). RDC is a larger resort so it has a greater variety of restaurants, bars, pools, entertainment, etc than DLC. Food quality, drinks and service was similar at both. If going to LDC, book the superior rooms, much larger and will have a balcony.

If you like a smaller resort, do not need non-stop activiites, and enjoy small town Mexico LDC is a good choice.

Rincon de...
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Rincon right for us?

Great! I am glad you decided to come our way. I think you'll love (we sure do)!

I apologize, I can't answer your questions about Los Cocos as I've never stayed there. We have a home in the area; and before that we always stayed at a friend's B&B.

Allyson

JaltembaBayLife.com, a community website for Guayabitos, La Penita and Los Ayala.

MEXICO
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Rincon right for us?

hi from guayabitos i have a steakhouse restaurant just two blocks from los cocos and i recommend you, make sure you will get a room in cocos 4 rooms are bigger and all with balconies, I known that 'couse i been working there for long time, and cocos 4 has the best restaurant in cocos "la bamba restaurant"

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Rincon right for us?

Awesome! Thanks, I think we will do the room upgrade. I am now waiting on a deal on airfare. We can't go until march, so hopefully will find a good deal by then!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,606 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Rincon right for us?

We stayed at the Decameron in Guayabitos over last xmas and I have to disagree with juanrojo- it was SUPER crowded....so crowded with families and vendors on the beach (and ALL week) that it was literally elbow to elbow in spots...you could not walk down the beach to La Penita without weaving in and out of groups of people, jumping to avoid running children, etc.

For a couple of days, that was interesting and fun....by the end of the week, we were going mad. We escaped for a couple of days to San Pancho where it was dead peaceful (trade off- you can't swim there safely, whereas in RdG the water is calm and wonderful).

Overall, to be honest, we did not really like Guayabitos, nor La Penita. The towns both seemed grim to us (esp La Penita, which was like a ghost town the day we went to walk around, with trash all over) and filled with ex-pats in trailer parks who try to spend as little as possible. To be fair, I am sure it is much different there in weeks other than xmas and Semana Santa. We might go again, but it would be during a much quieter week.

The hotel itself is fine, nice and colourful, I agree to stay in Cocos 4 although that pool was COLD (shaded all day). Food is so-so. Hotel was so overcrowded that week that the service suffered- they actually ran out of food at the buffet several times (and we were not going too late, either). I am sure other weeks are fine, though.

Just someone else's two cents, no offense intended. We are budget travelers and not at all high maintenance, it was mostly just far too busy that week for us, I think.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Rincon right for us?

Thank-you, Rissask - I have read lots of reviews on the resort, and I can see that it would indeed be very crowded at certain times of the year. I'm not sure if that would bother us or not - will have to think on that one. I think I've got a good idea about the food - from what I understand it is much like that at the RDC in Bucerias, and maybe we're weird, but we LOVED the food there. No crab legs or prime rib, but lots of chicken cooked to perfection and lots of interesting local dishes - perfect as far as I'm concerned!

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Rincon right for us?

Certainly Guayabitos- and all resort areas in the world- are busy during Christmas week. Never been there at Semanta Santa- Easter- but photos show it is extremely crowded- hard to see the sand!

Otherwise I am sure you would have an enjoyable vacation at Los Cocos. We stayed there 3 times one year and decided to drive down and spend the winters in Guayabitos- our 6th year coming up. There are some Canadians who have been going to Los Cocos for 10 years.

I would say the hotel is 3 * with 4* food and as for cleanliness- they get awards for that. Staff- delightful.

Get answers to your questions about Rincon de Guayabitos