We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Miami or Hollywood, FL Amtrak station safe at 7-8PM?

Which Sunny Isles Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Europe
4 posts
Save Topic
Is the Miami or Hollywood, FL Amtrak station safe at 7-8PM?

Hey, Me and my friend will arrive from Orlando Amtrak station to the Miami Amtrak station which located in Hialeah area near Allapattah neighborhood in Miami. We will get there approximately between 7:00PM to 8:00PM (Saturday). We will need to get from there to the Golden strand resort, Sunny Isles Beach.

So my question is, if it will be safe for two 18 yo male tourists with trolley bags to walk about 1/2 mile in that area at dark, to the nearest bus stop that will take us to Sunny Isles Beach?

If we will have to take a cab from the Amtrak station to Sunny Isles Beach, which is better station to depart at - Hollywood Amtrak station or Miami Amtrak station? (which is safer? which is easier to catch a taxi at?)

there are going to be any cabs in one of this stations or we will need to call one?

Thank you very much...

Sunny Isles Beach
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Miami or Hollywood, FL Amtrak station safe at 7-8PM?

Get off at Hollywood. You have a shorter trip to S.I., it is in a much better neighborhood, and easier to navigate to the beach. Take a cab from the station to the beach, the convenience will make it worthwhile, you would need to transfer taking a bus from either station. A cab ride will take about ten minutes from the Hollywood station which is directly adjacent to I-95. You will go southbound 95 down 3 exits to Ives Dairy Rd., make a left at the light heading east, go south on the U.S. 1 overpass, at the 4th light right after the mall and make a left onto William Lehman Causeway, take in the view, make a right into S.I., Golden Strand will be about 5 blocks up on the left, right after the 3 big Trump towers, right before the big pastel building with the clock on it. The ride should cost $20-$25.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Miami or Hollywood, FL Amtrak station safe at 7-8PM?

I agree completely with previous reply (although maybe I'm seeing this too late for answer to help you, sorry) -- get off at Hollywood. The Miami Amtrak station is not in such a great neighborhood; I would not want my son (your age) walking around there at night. Hollywood station is also closer to Sunny Isles. If you want to phone for a taxi (if you don't find one at the station), one of the good local cab companies we use is Tropical Taxi:

(305) 945-1025.

Raleigh, NC
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Miami or Hollywood, FL Amtrak station safe at 7-8PM?

Wow...this has been soooooo helpful to me ALL of you!! I was surfing/browsing the other day and was wondering the same thing and am so glad I found this. I had just switched my arrival to Hollywood for Amtrak when I saw how much closer it would be to the hotels and knew I would need a cab...

Great responses...you've helped my mind be at ease. Now ready for the vacation!!! :o)

Thanks!!!

4. Re: Is the Miami or Hollywood, FL Amtrak station safe at 7-8PM?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 20:20
Get answers to your questions about Sunny Isles Beach