We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night

Kansas City
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night

I've got a wedding up in Palm Beach on Saturday night, but according to the couple, it sounds like PB will be pretty quiet once the wedding breaks up. Anyone know if there are taxis or anything available up that way that could get me back to Manly to spend the night?

13 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night

Get the wedding venue to call a taxi for you.

Saturday nights can be tricky, depending on what time you need the cab, so you may have a bit of a wait. Or there may be one cruising around when you call. Luck of the draw, really.

Alternatively, pre-book a Towncar. Fixed price. Super reliable. Only downside is you need to stipulate & be prepared to leave at a specific time.

www.towncars.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night

A taxi to manly will be quite expensive (guessing about 100? Might be less).

If you are happy with a slower trip jump on the bus (L90 I think), pretty sure they run until quite late.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night

The L90 bus doesn't run all the way to Manly (it heads to the city instead) - you have to get off at Warringah Mall in Brookvale and transfer to another bus to get to Manly itself. The bus transfer point is a bit grim in front of a large abandoned building.

While I generally use public transport all over Sydney, and the L90 is a fine bus in most conditions, I don't think it's really that comfortable for a long ride post-wedding in fine clothes, in the dark, etc. I agree with the suggestion about a taxi or luxury "hire car" (there are many other hire car companies besides the one that Bokahara mentioned). Yes it is a significant fare, so the cost needs to be budgeted for.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 00:43
Kansas City
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night

thanks for the feedback! Town Car gave me an online quote of 92. Any thoughts on just spending the night in Palm Beach? The groom said he thought it would be very quiet and nothing to do - does anyone else have a different opinion?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night

I am not aware of any late night bars or restaurants in Palm Beach. As the groom noted, it's a quiet destination with the focus on daytime activities. It doesn't mean you couldn't find a nice apartment or villa to rent, do some shopping ahead of time, and host your own fun party - that's probably what most people staying in Palm Beach do.

The closest major evening venue I can think of is the Newport Arms Hotel open until midnight on Fri & Sat, but it's about 12km to the south of Palm Beach, and transport will certainly be an issue just as with getting to Manly. There is not much accomodation nearby there either. I would agree with getting the hire car to Manly where there are plenty of late night bars and a big choice in accomodation.

How are you getting to the venue? How late is the wedding? Keep in mind, you may need to check into your accomodation earlier in the day, particularly if it's a serviced apartment which will have limited reception hours.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night

great points about needing to check into a place early - definitely provides another wrinkle I hadn't thought about. I'm spending Thurs night in Manly and then figured I would find public transport up to Palm Beach on Friday afternoon. The groom has a house for us Friday night and car service to the wedding on Saturday, but once the wedding ends at 11pm on Saturday night, we're back on our own.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,306 posts
1,483 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night

Hi,

Palm Beach is quite in the evenings. $92.00 for the car is pretty good value compared to a taxi.

As mentioned you have Newport Arms Hotel - catch the L90 bus or taxi from Palm Beach.

Cranky Finns restaurant in Palm beach is buzzing a night if you want a drink or the Palm Beach RSL Club is another venue for a drink.

IMO; you would be better coming back to Manly if you want some action at night. Don't forget Manly has 12.30pm lock out in all hotels which means you cannot enter the pubs after 12.30pm.

Pubs in Manly -

North Steyne Hotel

Manly Wharf Hotel

Ivanhoe Hotel

New Brighton Hotel

The Boatshed - for live music.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night

Come again? 12:30 lockout? I can't enter a bar after 12:30? I've never heard of such a thing, unless we're talking last call where they stop serving alcohol? Is that just a Manly thing? Sydney? All of Australia? Sorry, don't mean to be ignorant. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night

There was a problem in Manly, and a couple of other areas, with drunken idiots outside the hotels late at night/early mornings. In an attempt to curb the behavior & make the place a better & safer environment for everyone else, a 12:30am lock-out has been instituted at the pubs (hotels).

Whether that applies to all hotels in Manly & whether it also applies to some of the smaller bars & clubs, I don't know. Nor do I know what time they close. Different pubs & clubs have differing licences that determine their closing times.

It is apparently working quite well.

If you wanted to stay in Palm Beach, you might try Barrenjoey House. I'd check early though - other wedding guests might have the same idea & it's not a huge establishment.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night

Manly has implemented lockouts for sometime.

In response to recent deaths resulting from alcohol fueled violence, the NSW Government implemenented lockout laws in February this year. These cover the CBD, Kings Cross and surrounding areas (see map) http://www.nsw.gov.au/newlaws

Reply to: Palm Beach to Manly on a Saturday night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted