We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankston = boring?

Which Frankston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Frankston = boring?

I am going over to Frankston for a business trip and staying at frankston motor inn (booked the wrong hotel unfortunately due to some miscommunication). Is there anything i could do around the area during weekday evenings and weekends?

9 replies to this topic
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,832 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankston = boring?

Get on a train and go to the city!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankston = boring?

I absolutely agree with eva

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankston = boring?

If you can hire a car you will have a lot more options, but there is bus & train transport to a number of places, and taxi if you just want to go somewhere close.

If you are 'stuck' in Frankston here are some local things to do -

Frankston Arts Centre & Cube 37 for live shows/theatre/exhibitions. Movies & 10 pin bowling. Shopping at Bayside shopping centre - quite good shopping. If the weather is nice go to the beach, swim, paddle, walk along the boardwalk and the pier. If you like karaoke, hire a private karaoke room at the Strike Bowling centre, or go to the Pier Hotel for public karaoke night. Daveys Hotel has quite good meals, and they have live entertainment & dancing (Friday nights is over 28's, and Sunday afternoon/night is blues, soul & rock n roll). For good restaurants try the Boathouse, Waves on the Beach or Nah Trang Vietnamese.

You can take a bus & short walk to McClelland Gallery + Sculpture Park, or to Frankston RSL for a live show and/or a meal. By bus you can easily get to Mornington township where there is a nice beach, lots of good restaurants/cafes, shops, galleries. Take the bus to Sorrento/Portsea - eat at the Portsea Hotel for good food and great views (& from Sorrento you can cross the bay to Queenscliff on the ferry if you want). If you like horse racing you could go to either Mornington or Cranbourne racetracks.There are a number of golf courses in the area.

With a car you have lots of options including a visit to the Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park, Phillip Island to see the penguins, tour around Mornington peninsula (Arthurs Seat, mazes, wineries, hot springs).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankston = boring?

If you have a car, you can drive down the coast and visit places like Mornington Mt Martha, Red Hill (famous for gourmet food) . But I'm guessing you won't have a car.

Pls do be careful at night as Frankston has a reputation of being a bit dangerous at night.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankston = boring?

I would highly recommend hiring a car as this will highly increase your options for entertainment outside of your working hours AND your personal safety. While Frankston is not Manila, it is a bit rough, and I, being of the same gender, would feel a bit more confident if I didn't have to walk too far after dark. However, do not be too alarmed, sensible precautions will see you home safe and sound.

Have a good trip!

Edited: 04 November 2012, 11:04
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankston = boring?

Mc Clelland Art Gallery. Good exhibitions and restaurant.

Frankston Art Centre. Live Theatre.

Walk the Boardwalks along the foreshore then on to the Cafe at Seaford Pier.

Excellent beach at Frankston.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frankston = boring?

does not matter where you are holidaying or working in the world and the location of your hotel. Grab a map, hire a car of go on a tour. Location is just a state of mind. Be creative as whilst Frankston may not be the tourist mecca of Victoria there are some great options around..philip island, wilsons prom, city, wineries, the list is endless.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frankston = boring?

OK, the OP posted last November, given it was a business trip, I suspect she has already been.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frankston = boring?

a trip to see the fairy penguins at phillip island is a must ,hire a car its a half day late evning trip.worth every minute

Reply to: Frankston = boring?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Frankston
Recent Conversations