We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

plantations?/ restaurants?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
plantations?/ restaurants?

I am heading to Tennessee from April 25 to may 2 . Going to Nashville and memphis. I 've never been before but I love plantations and would like some rec's on any favorite's. Also any must see's while we are there? We've got some idea's but we're trying to stay away from the really crowded, touristy area's.

Restaurants? BBQ, Soul Food?

Thanks in advance

San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: plantations?/ restaurants?

If you like plantations take the historic TN tour provided by grayline. www.musiccitytours.com they offer a tour that will take you to the two key plantations around us the Hermitage, home to Andrew Jackson and the Bell Meade plantation. Both gorgous homes and it is a great tour. Def. a must see if you are into that kinda thing. Also if you have time drive over to Franklin. The carter house and the Carnton plantation have a huge amount of civil war history and a great way to spend a day. My 1st choice would be my favorite though.

Food ~ Well there is Jacks BBQ on broadway, Tootsies and Rippy's all on Broadway. Then there is the Wildhorse Saloon again BBQ on 2nd Ave, they have wonderful BBQ sauce.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: plantations?/ restaurants?

As for Plantations, I would recommend the Belle Meade Plantation, known as 'the Queen of TN plantations'.

http://www.bellemeadeplantation.com/

Here in Franklin, there is the Historic Carnton Plantation, which was used as a confederate hospital during the civil war.

http://www.carnton.org/

As for local BBQ restaurants, Jacks is good, South Street, and a fave of mine, Tex's.

As for others, the White Trash Cafe (meat & 3), Rotiers for burgers, Elliston Place Soda Shop. Monells is unique. Valentino for Italian. Sperrys for Steaks.

Welcome to Nashville.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: plantations?/ restaurants?

Without a doubt, you should visit Monell's Dining & Catering. The original location is on the northern end of downtown Nashville. It's set in an 1880 victorian house, in Historic Germantown. Address is 1235 6th Ave. N. Nashville, TN

If you're in Historic Franklin, they have another location there. It's at 107 Bridge St Franklin, TN. That setting is in a circa 1900 jail. At either location you'll sit at large tables that seat 10-14 diners at once. They'll start bringing out bowls and platters of food immediately. Real skillet fried chicken, real mashed potatoes, real biscuits, real brewed southern sweet ice tea. Are you getting the 'real' message here! Put any of that on your head and your tongue will beat your brains out just trying to get to it ;) No, they do not take reservations...for anyone. But, you won't wait long for a table either. A word from a regular...pace yourself or you won't have room for the dessert. Enjoy!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
705 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: plantations?/ restaurants?

I have never been impressed with the White trash and fail to see how it is still in business but Monells is one of the best especially when they have fried chicken. You will also like Jacks barbecue

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: plantations?/ restaurants?

Hi tahiti_sweetie604,

The above plantation visits are wonderful! Here are a few others you may want to check out:

Belmont Mansion: www.belmontmansion.com

Cheekwood: www.cheekwood.org

Sam Davis Home: www.samdavishome.org

Enjoy!

Bob

6. Re: plantations?/ restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 11:18