We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanderbilt visit

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
1 post
Save Topic
Vanderbilt visit

I will be touring Vandy with my two high schoolers (one boy, one girl) next month. We are yanks coming from the peoples republic of cambridge, ma. Two questions, 1. Would high schoolers enjoy staying more in town near Vanderbilt or would we be better off out of town at the Gaylord? 2. What else should I look to do with bigger kids in our down time. We will be in Nashville for 4 days and will have 2 days free.

Murfreesboro, TN
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vanderbilt visit

I would think they would enjoy the area around Vanderbilt more, especially if they are considering attending. Gaylord is nice but it is kind of out of the way with only the mega mall Opry Mills or some older country music attractions nearby.

tennessee
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vanderbilt visit

I'd agree that staying downtown would be more fun. If you stay out at Opryland, there's nothing much to do other than wander around the very expensive shops and restaurants or go the very expensive mall. If you stay downtown, you can choose from a variety of restaurants, walk the downtown district, etc.

The Opryland Hotel is definitely worth a visit. Kids that age love going to see the conservatory and the shops and the indoor river. There are some fun little restaurants where you can grab lunch that overlook the water.

If you like history, The Hermitage, home of Andrew Jackson, is a great site. I think they've got a nice tour and a really lovely exhibit.

The Belle Meade Mansion is also a good choice. Much ritzier and in one of the wealthiest zip codes in the nation.

If you're interested in Civil War history, then you could take them down to Franklin to visit some of the historic sites there.

If you'll have a car, the Jack Daniels Distillery is also a good day trip. It's in Lynchburg, which isn't too far away.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vanderbilt visit

Hey, Sox! First, I have to tell you that while I am a Braves fan at heart, I have Edgar Renteria on my fantasy baseball team and he's making me very happy. :-)

I agree with the others about staying closer to Vandy and downtown. Vanderbilt is very close to downtown so there's plenty to do and see.

One area I highly recommend is Hillsboro Village on 21st. It's on the edge of Vanderbilt and the hospital. My husband and I just moved from that area (he just graduated from Vanderbilt Law) and we loved it. The kids would enjoy going to the Pancake Pantry, which is famous for...guess what? Go early because there's often a line to get in. Boco's and Jackson's are also pretty good for lunch/dinner.

They might also enjoy Centennial Park and the Parthenon, which is close by. It's located on West End amid plenty of restaurants and shops, including a huge Borders. Tower Records is down the street. Stop by the old Elliston Soda Shop for some authentic milkshakes or Rotier's for a huge burger.

Of course, downtown is great just for the people watching. Take them down Broadway where all the country music places are. Try Rippy's for great ribs or Jack's for good pork barbecue. A tour of the Ryman Theater is also a great option.

The only real attraction to staying out at Opryland is shopping at Opry Mills and touring the huge Opryland Hotel. The Hermitage isn't that far from there and there's also a rather tame water park on Briley Parkway. I think your kids would have more fun closer to Vandy/downtown.

California
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vanderbilt visit

Peachyswan,

How did your move back go?

I suggest staying downtown as well...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vanderbilt visit

Naomi! Hey, girl!

The move went pretty well. We're still unpacking but we're getting more settled every day. The movers broke my favorite lamp (naturally) and lost the TV remote, but that's the worst of it. I feel blessed that it went as well as it did. The cable guy finally showed up today so we now have the Internet at home and more than one TV channel so we can watch the Braves (hopefully win!).

Being back in the office (and not working from home) is pretty rough. I miss the freedom. But I hope to quit in August so I'm doing what I have to do until then.

How is your Nashville/Memphis/other cities shopping going? Are you narrowing the list down at all?

Thanks for asking about the move.

California
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vanderbilt visit

Peachyswan,

I think I am starting to narrow it down some---its

still a toss up between Memphis and Nashville in terms

of between those two---I am leaning more towards

Nashville though I think..

Still possibly considering Dallas----and I think I have

nixed Raleigh for the most part....and Florida is out...

NYC Area and Toronto sound interesting, but I know

it takes some serious dollars to relocate there...

This late summer or fall I plan to take trips

to Nashville/Memphis and Dallas and make the

final decision then---I hope to be able to move

within 9 months to 1 year--otherwise I won't

be doing it....

Glad all is well back in Atlanta---I have a friend

who lives in Lithonia he loves it there and

another friend who is in Buckhead... Yeah,

going into an office is a drag if you haven't

been doing it.

Well, I am glad things worked out for your husband

and you in moving back.....

Nashville
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vanderbilt visit

Hello Sox,

All the ideas so far are wonderful. For sure around the Vandy area. I would probably nix the trip to Gaylor Opryland unless you have you heart set on it. Traffic is horrible that way and I am not sure teenagers will enjoy. However, some things they might enjoy are:

Boomtown Skate park which is down town and is sponsored by a local christian artist. Lots to do beside just skate and is all geared for teens.

Tip-A-Canoe. You rent canoes and go down the buffalo river, they handle everything, you just show up. The Parthenon is really nice but maybe just for a quick look. We have a great exhibit going on at the Frist Museum right now but I know you guys have incredible art also. There is a water park called Nashville Shores which is tons of fun for teens and adults with water kayaks, bunjee jumping, skiing, etc. The Vandy campus is beautiful and they will enjoy walking around there. Also go over to Belmont and check out the campus and Mansion. Drive through BelleMeade down the boulevard (watch your speed limit) see all the big homes and the road ends at Cheekwood which is beautiful, also a fun 9 hole golf course, and Warner park where there is fun hiking and picnicing. Be sure and go over to Elliston Place and have a cheeseburger on french bread at Rotiers and a shake at Elliston Place Soda Shop. If the kids like to bike, take a bike trip on the Natchez Trace. Have pizza in Hillsboro Village at Pizza Perfect. Ok, that should keep you busy for a while. And if they say poo poo on outdoor stuff, go to Cool Springs Mall and let them shop until they beg to go canoeing. Have fun!!