We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussies in Nashville

Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Aussies in Nashville

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 boys aged 11 and 13 travelling to Nashville in October from Australia. I would appreciate any info on where to stay and what to do etc. We will have a hire car. We will probably spend about 3 days in Nashville and we really don't have a clue about anything American but we can't wait to learn! We love music - country and western.

USA
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussies in Nashville

You will have a great time. A few notes though.....

1. We drive on the righthand side of the road. ;)

2. Better bring your own Vegamite.

3. Remember taxes are added on after purchase in the U.S., so budget accordingly. Sales tax in Tennessee is pretty high . (Isn't it around 7%) and they have additional local "lodging taxes that can be another 5% or more. That means that if your hotel rate is $100 per night, it will actually be around $113 or so in many places.

4. Don't miss the Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's home). It is a great historic plantation house that most people have never heard of.

Nashville is a great place for music of all kinds. What else do you want to see when you are in Tennessee or the U.S.?

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussies in Nashville

If you like Elvis music there is a great tribute show on Monday and Thursdays called the Nashville King it is a must see show if you are an Elvis fan.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussies in Nashville

G'day, Sludge!

Since you enjoy country/Western music, you will be, as the old timers say, happier than a pig in slop in Nashville. It is, frankly, just about everywhere.

It would help to know what kind of things you and your family like to do beyond C&W. Do you like historical sites? Doing something active? Shopping?

For a start, the downtown area in and around Broadway is a C&W music lover's paradise. Visit the Country Music Hall of Fame to get the full story. Tour the Ryman Theater, former home of the Grand Ole Opry. Stop in at the Ernest Tubb Record Store. Have some barbecued ribs at Rippy's. Just strolling down Broadway is fun for people watching. White Horse Saloon is also a good place to hang out and take a line dancing lesson. Tootsie's Orchid Lounge is another popular music spot.

One good place for acoustic music is the Bluebird cafe. Go to www.bluebirdcafe.com for all the details. It is not downtown but about five minutes away.

For a true C&W experience, get tickets to a show at the Grand Ole Opry, which is now located about 10-15 minutes outside of downtown. It's right beside the huge Opry Mills shopping center and the equally vast Opryland Hotel. You can also get tickets for a cruise on the General Jackson showboat, which has launches right next to Opry Mills.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussies in Nashville

I'm sure you guys will have fun in Nashville. Whenever I visit a place I like to find attractions that give you a good feel of what the place is about and also makes you say Wow.

The places that will surely raise your eyebrows are:

The Wild Horse Saloon - It's bigger on the inside than you think. There's a game room for the kids, too. And as peachyswan said, you can even learn a simple line dance. They have good food there as well.

The Opryland Hotel will blow you away. It's a huge hotel/convention center/mall all under one roof. Take the kids on a small riverboat ride for fun. Definately take a walk through the botanical garden, it's great. Also the Opry Mills mall is incredible if you want to shop.

Broadway has tons of places to enjoy country music. Some of the better known places are Tootsie's and Legends. The places seem a little small, but they pack em in. And all of them serve great drinks! Yeee Haaa!

There's also a little side street off of 2nd that has small shops to buy gifts. I can't remember the name so maybe one of the other posters can help out. I just know it's on the opposite side of the Hooter's bar on 2nd, which by the way may be another place that will raise your eyebrows!

If you really feel like spending money, they have limousine rides for about $50 bucks for 1/2 hour. I know it sounds like a waist of money, but the boys might enjoy a ride in a limo. What the heck, that's what America is about - enjoying your freedom to do random acts of senselessness! You'll find these limos just sitting on Broadway waiting for a customer.

Also October is American Football season! The Tennessee Titans are one of the better teams in the league. I'm sure the boys would get a kick out of that! If you're lucky they may have a home game during your visit. If interested you may want to reserve tickets as early as possible.

HFPO!

(Have Fun and Party On!)

tennessee
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussies in Nashville

Sales tax is actually right at 10% on food and products. It's higher on alcohol, cigarettes and hotels.

We have no income tax, so we pay through the nose in sales tax.

em
Metro Atlanta...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussies in Nashville

I definately reccommend the Opryland hotel. It's amazing and an attraction in itself. It has everything you could possibly want in a hotel and more. The gardens are beautiful and they have their own river inside the hotel. They also have many unique shops and some great resteraunts. For more details, see www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordopryland

Another must-see in Nashville is the Grand Ole Opry, especially if you like country/western music. (If you stay at Opryland, you can plan all of your extra entertainment through them, such as the Opry, Nashville area tours, and their riverboat, the General Jackson.

Nashville
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussies in Nashville

I live in the downtown tourist district and suggest this:

I would stay at the renasissance, sheraton and hilton in that order.

I would stay at the renassissance because it is one block from the downtown entertainment district, is a high-rise hotel with a view, and is only 130 a night vs. 200 for the hilton.

Searaton is 3 blocks and 160 a night decent, but wouldn't want to walk the 3 blocks very late at night -taxi is an option.

Hilton is right on the strip, could be noisy until 2-3 am unless it is soundproofed well, i never slept in it, costs 200 a nite and does not have a high rise scenic view.

Avoid the courtyard as it's next to printer's alley nightclub area and could be very noisy late at night. Doubletree is next to the city's main bus terminal and could be very noisy all day until midnight.

If u select renasissance, ask for a room facing north, you get an amazing view of the state capitol, a state park, and small mountains to the north. wsmv.com tv has a live webcam on top of the renissance so you can see the view i am talking about.

if any other questions, email me at songwriter1963b@yahoo.com

good day mate

Nashville
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussies in Nashville

Hello Sludge:

Glad to see you are visiting us from downunder. You will find people in Nashville will beg you to talk just so they can hear the accent. We are a very friendly bunch. Since you have two teenagers, I would lodge closer to Vanderbilt in one of the hotels there, Maybe the Embassy Suite at Vandy. Their rooms are two room apartments, they have a free shuttle to downtown, free breakfast and right across from the campus which the kids will love. Because it is located in the middle of two large campuses, there are lots there for them to do. Be sure to take them to Rockettown Skate park which is downtown, a shuttle ride away. It should be very lovely weather at that time so take them hiking at one of the warner parks for hiking. Check out this like also www.nashville.gov/flashpgs/tourism_home.htm

and

http://nashvillecvb.com/Visitors/Family.aspx

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at GabbykNashville@yahoo.com. I am in the tourism biz and I am a Nashville native so I would be happy to give you some other ideas. Good Luck and Have fun!!

glasgow uk
Level Contributor
800 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussies in Nashville

We've just returned from Nashville and had a great week. We stayed at the Fairfield Nashville which is a timeshare resort but they also rent room(Studios. 1 & 2 bedroomed apartments which were great) It is situated very close to the Grand Ole Opry Opryland hotel etc. We liked the position of it as it was quieter but downtown etc was easy to access.

I don't know if I would have liked to stay downtown with children as it is mainly bars but the music is fabulous- each bar seemed beter than the last- Tootsie's orchid bar, Robert's etc. The Country Hall of fame is worth seeing and if you get a Kroger's grocery store card( easy to pick up at any Kroger store), you can get 2-1 at the country hall of fame which saves $16.95- I got this tip on this site. We went to the Bluebird cafe and the atmosphere there is wonderful. It is a small venue but very friendly. It's a bit out at Hillsboro and set in a small shopping mall-very easy to miss but definately worth finding. You can book one week inadvance and the usually have 2 concerts a night.

Watch the driving while you're there as like us you will have to drive on the "other side of the road". There's a lot of construction on the Brilley Parkway and the road signs are very confusing. (I've found this throughout America)The rush hour seems to begin around 3.30.

Have a wonderful time-I'm sure you will enjoy it

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussies in Nashville

mm123, I'm glad you had a good trip to Nashville and made it to the Bluebird. I send a lot of guests there and it never fails to please, even if it is off the beaten path.