We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe & Unsafe Neighborhoods in Nashville

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safe & Unsafe Neighborhoods in Nashville

We are considering relocating to Nashville. Can someone give us some ideas of which neighborhoods or locations are considered unsafe? Thank you!

Nashville
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe & Unsafe Neighborhoods in Nashville

As a whole, Nashville is fairly safe. However, you will find crime beit small petty crimes all over. I have lived in Nashville my entire life and I prefer to live in the GreenHills area. The west part if town is nice but just about anywhere you go, there may be a not so nice area on the edge. Franklin and Brenwood are very nice and have excellent schools. Hillsboro VIllage and Sylvan Park have become a hotspot for families to live. East Nashville is in a revitalization period but some friends who live there find it is not as safe as they would like. Things like this still take time to totally flip over. Are you looking to rent or buy? Do you have children? how far are you willing to drive to work each day? Those are all factors on where I would steer you any further. Good Luck

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe & Unsafe Neighborhoods in Nashville

Hi, Sunny. Gabby has given you some good information, and asked good quesetions. A lot will hinge on what your needs are. Do you have children and are they of school age? Does one of you work downtown? What are your interests and goals?

I just spent the last two years living in Nashville while my husband completed law school at Vanderbilt. We lived in the Hillsboro Village area and loved it. It is within walking distance of Vanderbilt and the West End area, both nice areas. As a young newlywed couple, we found it fit our needs well. It was also pretty safe, too. Green Hills is located just across 440 and is very, very nice. It is rather pricey but as I said, nice and close to a lot.

Sylvan Park is indeed a hot spot and is a nice place with a mix of housing. We have friends with a newborn who just moved there and enjoy it a lot.

Gabby is right on about East Nashville. It is indeed a hot spot but is still going through some growing pains. They're builidng new townhouses and there are fixer-uppers aplenty that people enjoy renovating. It has a nice neighborhood feel to it in some areas. Lots of good dining, too.

That said, you may want to live further out in the suburbs and there are plenty of them. I know little about them since we didn't live in the burbs.

Go to www.tennessean.com to get a feel for the real estate situation, too.

Nashville, TN
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe & Unsafe Neighborhoods in Nashville

I relocated here about four years ago and I live in Hendersonville, about 20 minutes north of Nashville and I really like it here. It's a nice suburban area with plenty of shopping and restaurants. Gallatin is about 15 minutes northeast of here and it's nice for a rural area.

Brentwood/Franklin/Cool Springs is about a half hour south of Nashville and is really nice.

The West End/Green Hills area is very upsale and a lot of affluent people live there. MY sister used to live there in the '90s and she paid a lot to live there, but it is such a nice area.

Lebanon is OK. It's kind of redneck (not trying to sound snooty...I'm a redneck too), but it's alright. Mount Juliet & Hermitage seem to be decent middle class areas.

Trinity Lane, Dickerson Pike, and Murfreesboro Road are definitely the slums. Streetwalkers and blue lights with sirens wailing galore.

tennessee
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe & Unsafe Neighborhoods in Nashville

Do you have kids? What would be your price range for homes? Those will be two huge factors in Nashville.