We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hockey Game Advice ??

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hockey Game Advice ??

Hoping to come to town April 3rd to see Blues/Predators game w/ 4-6 guys. Went on ticketmaster and had no problem finding 4 seats together in SEVERAL different sections. Should we even worry about getting tix in advance or just see what is available on the street before game? Do games sellout?

And where to stay within walking distance of Sommet Center. My memmory tells me Sommet is close to broadway/2nd Ave. bar scene...but has been many years. Also, any good "Hockey Bars" downtown? We all enjoy live music after the game as well.

thanks for any input,

Bluesguy

St. Augustine...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville, Saint Augustine Beach
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hockey Game Advice ??

I am not sure about buying your tickets on the street before and how much etc. so I'll let another person who is a hockey regular let you know.

As for the where to stay you have a couple of options there. If you want to walk your best choice is the Hilton Downtown Nashville which is right next door. Next closest is the new Hampton Inn and Suites. You could also look at Union Station Hotel (I have not stayed here in a while) but used to be a great hotel and I know they were going through some remodels.

Our favorite thing to do before a game is to hit up Rippys next to the Sommet Center or even Bailey's down the street before the game and after the same places or the honky tonks on Broadway.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hockey Game Advice ??

Thanks for the info Ellyanne !

Bluesguy

Murfreesboro, TN
Level Contributor
215 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hockey Game Advice ??

100% agree on the Hilton suggestion. Great hotel, close to everything.

Also, as far as bars go, there is a little bar inside the Sommet Center called Wolfy's Den (the name actually may have changed by now). It's not on a concourse. You'll have to take the elevator or stairs to get there. It's a great place to go between periods, and there's a wonderful view of Broadway and downtown from all the windows. Actually, the bar's outside walls are entirely windows. It's not that crowded between periods, but it gets crowded after the game. It's pretty cool. Just ask an employee to point you to it, because I really can't tell you how to get there. I just know the stairwell when I see it!

Bailey's and Rippy's are both good pre-game spots, both right across the street.

Nashville
Level Contributor
125 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hockey Game Advice ??

Apr 3rd is a Thursday, so unless Preds are really in a fight for 8th playoff spot, I don't see you having trouble getting seats. HOWEVER.....getting 6 seats together off the street (dudes usually sell them at corner across the street from the Sommet) might be risky. If you guys are willing to break into 2 groups, then I'd say go for buying them from scalpers on the street - can get a better deal as game time approaches. Worst case, you could just go inside and buy the tix from ticket window (and avoid Ticketmaster's surcharge).

Hilton is excellent location.

In addition to Bailey's and Rippy's, while not a pure sports/hockey bar, Big River Grill (2nd and Broadway) is a restaurant that also brews their own special micros and has a nice outdoor patio for chilling with your gang.

Oh, one other thing: Preds are gonna CRUSH the Blues!

(I hope)

St. Louis
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hockey Game Advice ??

hoyvenon,

Thanks for the tips!

and uh...about the Preds crushing the Blues....yes they will! Our season is done. lost 7 in a row. scored 4 goals in those 7 games!!! We are now in race for #1 overall pick !Good luck Preds,

Go Blues in 2009/2010,

bluesguy

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hockey Game Advice ??

I totally agree with staying at the Hilton. Union station is a little more pricy to stay at with a bunch of guy's. I also agree with Big River Grill to hang out before or after the game, I actually really love this downtown restaurant, lots of TV's, good food and drinks for a fair price and they brew several beers on premisis. TIP: The bar and surrounding area is open seating, so if you see a seat go grab it, no need to give your name and wait,though I dont like to give out this information. My husband and I always walk in and sit right down. There is also a large outdoor seating area to eat and drink if it's not to cold. No live music though. Personally I would buy tickets in advance and never buy from someome on the street. I know it stinks paying all the sur-charges and fees with Ticketmaster.

st louis area
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hockey Game Advice ??

I'm with ya bluesguy. Hoping for high draft picks. We haven't done too bad in that area the past year.

Have fun anyway. Maybe they'll score a few.

8. Re: Hockey Game Advice ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 23:20