We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Might be moving to Nashville

Nashville, Tennessee
7 posts
Save Topic
Might be moving to Nashville

My husband & I are originally from Kentucky but we have lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma for the past 5 years. We moved here for my husband's job & now we could possibly be moving to Nashville for his job. Does anyone have any advice on good areas to live in? We have a little girl who is about to turn 1 so if you have any info about the school districts that would be helpful too! Thanks!!!

Murfreesboro, TN
Level Contributor
216 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Might be moving to Nashville

The first area that comes to mind is Williamson County. That's Brentwood, Franklin, and Spring Hill. Williamson County is known to have EXCELLENT schools. However, homes are quite expensive there. Brentwood and Franklin are generally more expensive than Spring Hill, though.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Might be moving to Nashville

^ yep, good post! You might want to check out

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

Nashville
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Might be moving to Nashville

As mentioned by other, Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin)is nice and has good schools, but is also rather pricey. Might also consider Mt Juliet (suburb on east side of Nashville). Good value for the $$ and schools are decent. My own opinion on other stuff: Avoid Nolensvill Rd area, East Nashville ("the projects!"), and anywhere which is zoned for high schools named McGavock, Overton, Pearl-Cohn, or Hillsboro. Unless you're interested in your kid learning the nuances of carrying a gun to class and seeing less than 1/2 your classmates graduate.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
330 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Might be moving to Nashville

try looking out in west Nashville. If you can get a house in Bellevue, on the side of highway 100, you will be zoned to Harpeth Valley, and excellent school. The Middle School zone for there is Bellevue Middle, which is locally referred to as the "unmagnet" magnet. It has the third highest test scores in the district, right behind 2 magnets schools and it is the technology demonstration site for Metro, so they always have the latest gizmos and gadgets. High school zoned right now to Hillwood, which isn't the best, but is trying to get better. Plus there are lots of magnet options and plenty of private schools if you so desire.

Another option would be Kingston Springs, which is just up the next exit out west. It is Cheatham County, but has excellent schools and property values are not quite as expensive as highway 100, Bellevue.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Might be moving to Nashville

Green Hills and Belle Meade are both zoned for Hillsboro and are wonderful (and expensive) places to live. Many kids in these areas go to private schools, but Hillsboro is academically one of the strongest performing high schools in Davidson county. Sure, there are kids there with issues, but no public high school in Nashville can claim otherwise.

The elementary schools that feed into Hillsboro are among the absolute best in town, Julia Green and Percy Priest in particular.

Nashville (Davidson county) has a very high rate of private school attendance. If you're thinking public through high school, I would look at Williamson county.

Nashville, Tennessee
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Might be moving to Nashville

Thank you to everyone that have replied to my post! I really appreciate it, I have never been to Nashville so I have no idea where to even consider. We were looking at real estate to get a feel for the market however and Antioch and Murfreesboro caught our eye. If anyone has any info about these areas we would appreciate that as well. Again, thank you so much for all the information, it has really given us a lot to go on!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
330 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Might be moving to Nashville

I would not recommend Antioch. Huge amount of growth in there and LaVerne/Smyrna/Murfreesboro. Getting into Nashville from those areas is a huge headache (it seems from looking at the news every morning). Murfreesboro is only 20 miles away from Nashville, but it can easily take 45 minutes to an hour in the morning to get into town.

Antioch is getting a new high school (Cane Ridge) soon, but schools are very over crowded. When we moved here about 2 years ago, we loved the house prices in Antioch, but not the statistics (crime, etc.). We were lucky in that I have family here that helped to keep us informed about what was going on, how traffic was, etc. (We only moved from Knoxville and Nashville was my "home" but I hadn't lived here in 25 years)

If my DH had his wish, we would live across the street from his job, but that wasn't an option. We picked out west because the traffic is the best. I wish we were zoned for Harpeth Valley, but we aren't (I have a almost 5 year old), we are zoned for Gower, which is a good school too.

There is a huge amount of people that do Private school for their kids here compared to Knoxville. Even lots of people that I teach with (yeah, I teach in Metro) have their kids in Private school. Most privates cost from $7000-20000 a year, with the religious schools on the bottom cost and the prep schools on the top end. We are going to let my son go to public through 4th grade for sure, 5-8th at Bellevue (it's open enrollment, which means anyone can go there as long as you provide transportation), and then either Magnet or private for high school. Or we might move to Kingston Springs (5 miles from where we live) and let him go there.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Might be moving to Nashville

rarejewls, do you know what part of town your husband would be working in?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
925 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Might be moving to Nashville

TripAdvisor typically shuts down these threads pretty quickly since they're not "travel related" - however, if you search the Nashville forum you'll find a number of other threads where others have asked similiar questions.

Nashville, Tennessee
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Might be moving to Nashville

His office is located in Nashville on Linbar Drive. It seems to be rather close to Antioch, about 6 miles or so according to mapquest (depending on how accurate that really is).