We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pan handlers

N IRELAND
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
pan handlers

could anyone please tell me what a pan handler is thank yoy

ann

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pan handlers

A panhandler is a beggar. Generally wise to avoid them.

N IRELAND
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: pan handlers

thank you highway for replying to my post, i visited nashville 2 years ago and i was amazed at how many beggars were on the street, after a while it was very annoying

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pan handlers

My way of dealing with them is to carry around little bags supplied with granola bars and various other nutritional items, with hand sanitizer, and sometimes even a little Bible. If someone is on the side of the road we'll stop an give them one. Otherwise, if we don't need to be somewhere we sometimes go around to a fast food joint an grab them a hamburger. In any case, don't ever give them money.

Kristian

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pan handlers

I've lived in Nashville/surrounding area all my life and have never had one approach me.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
705 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pan handlers

You may be very lucky, one has not approached you. I had one get very angry with me downtown one time and a lady just got beat up by one at McDonalds on Nolensville rd because she went in and bought him food and he wanted a dollar. She ended up with a broken ankle and ribs. McDonalds say what was going on and locked her out when she was trying to get away from him.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: pan handlers

The homeless population in Nashville has dramatically increased in the last twenty or so years. I used to work in the heart of downtown Nashville. Right before I quit twenty-four years ago (to be a stay-at-home mother), I noticed more homeless men (beggars) on the street. There is a shelter for them (Nashville Union Rescue Mission) downtown which tries to help them, but often the individuals do not want help for the long term.

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pan handlers

InStitches---I know what you're saying is true but honestly, I don't know anyone that has ever been approached by one of these people. I have a good friend that has worked near the capital (not sure where)for the last 7 or 8 yrs and never had a problem nor has my daughter or any of her friends when they've been in Nashville on the wknd. Guess we're just lucky...or maybe we look too poor to help them out!!

I have had people approach me on my travels in the Caribbean and in the Keys but not here.

Karen

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pan handlers

Kristian, You are so right! To me it is an oppertunity to help someone who really needs it! Drives me crazy when "Christians" compline about them!

And you are right, usualy money will not be spent on food or anything needed.

I have herd of many people running into them down town but I have seen them more in places like Bell Rd. by the mall.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
705 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pan handlers

Let me just add one thing before we scare anyone, Nashville has taken steps to handle this problem in the downtown area to protect the tourists so I don't think you will have major problems there but that means alot of them have moved to other areas of town. The main thing is do not engage them when they approach.

Nashville
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pan handlers

Irish: You don't really see the beggars or panhandlers walking around the streets that often. More likely to see them at the end of the exit ramps coming off of the interstates (highways), and just a few at that. Being a local, I know the usual locations, and if I remember, I try to bring a bag with a sandwhich and snack to offer them when I'm at the stop light off the exit ramp. If they decline and only want money instead, I know they're full of BS and not really down on their luck (local TV did an expose a few years ago on some scammers - they made a GREAT hourly rate and tax-free!) OR they want to take my money to go blow on booze and smokes.....and I'm not willing to support that.