We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night with 4 small children

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
One night with 4 small children

Hello, I understand Nashville is an incredible place and look forward to the time when I can spend more than one night in your beautiful, fun city. However, this December, we will be driving through Nashville (I-65) with our 4 small children (4, 5, 6 & 7) and would like to find a great place to stay. Here is what we are looking for:

1. Fun decorations or decor (it will be around Dec. 27)

2. A place to walk to dinner

3. Something fun for the children to do nearby (maybe a fun kids park or could be just a heated indoor pool).

I am open to any ideas you may have. We will arrive mid-afternoon and leave early the next morning.

Thank you,

Catherine

San Francisco CA
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One night with 4 small children

If you're spending only one night after driving all day with 4 YOUNG CHILDREN, and leaving EARLY the very next morning, my suggestion maybe anywhere around the GreenHills area, or maybe Cool Springs, or maybe around the Vanderbilt area.

But for one night only in Nashville you're not going to enjoy THAT much given your circumstance, and making sure the children are rested and ready to leave the next morning very early !

Way too stressful it seems to me, particularly since you're driving, or someone is !

JMHO

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night with 4 small children

You know what, I don't think they have an indoor pool but Opryland Hotel is a don't miss at Christmas and the kids will love the lights and decorations. They also have a ice exhibit that even has slides carved out of ice. Last year it was the Grinch but it changes every year. Opryland Hotel has several places to eat in it and many surrounding it. Opry Mills is right next door and the kids will like alot of stuff there and they have glow golf indoors there too.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night with 4 small children

I also meant to add, if you decide to go there, take some nice clothes, dress the kids up and take pictures for Christmas, maybe even Christmas cards cause there are many many places for phot op's and I have taken my kids out to the conservatory just to take pictures.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night with 4 small children

I suggest checking "Ms. Cheap" column closer to December.

She writes a GREAT column filled with fun things to do, places to go, kids activities. She will very likely write about December lights, activities, etc.

See the Tennessean newspaper, web page: shop2.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section…

I think Opryland does have an indoor pool. Pluses: it is highly decorated for the holidays. Opry Mills next door has the Aquarium restaurant which will definitely entertain young children, all tables surround an enormous aquarium filled with tropical fish, an 8' eel, even small sharks. Next door to the Aquarium is a Sting Ray petting zoo, maybe about $5 each? (Stingers removed.)

Cons: Opryland Hotel is an expensive place to stay. Even if you just visit for the lights, parking costs $15!!! There will also be TONS of traffic getting into and around Opryland Hotel/Opry Mills mall. I would not recommend walking from the Hotel to the mall with little children.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night with 4 small children

Better idea than Opryland:

Stay in the Vanderbilt/West End area. LOTS of restaurant choices.

Drive the children through Centennial Park, fun lights, FREE, not super-crowded.

Holiday lights - FREE - Drive 3 miles further out West End avenue, turn right on Bowling Avenue, then roam the Richland/West End historic neighborhood for great houses with lights and decorations. One of Nashville's BEST LIGHTED HOMES is on either Richland Avenue or Central... a large electric train runs around the Christmas tree on top of the roof, Santa and Rudolph are on the rooftop.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night with 4 small children

Wow, thanks for all of the GREAT suggestions. I love the Oprey Land Hotel idea and will see I can find a reasonable rate.

Thank you all for your responses.

Catherine

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night with 4 small children

You can find a very reasonable rate and they have alot of specials in the winter. I think it would be a more kid friendly trip than the vanderbilt area but that is just my thoughts. There are a few hotels across from Opryland if you want to check them out too.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night with 4 small children

Hi Catherine,

If you're still interested in the Opryland Hotel area, be sure to check out the Radisson Hotel at Opryland. www.radisson.com/hotels/tnnashop

Rates could possibly be cheaper than the Opryland Hotel, and they have a shuttle service to the Opryland Hotel and the mall. It's also within walking distance to the Opryland Hotel.

Bob

P.S. From what I have heard, be sure to take the kids to Opry Mills and visit the Rainforest Cafe. They say it's awesome for kids. www.rainforestcafe.com

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night with 4 small children

I like rainforest myself, they have good food and its fun. Opry Mills also has a food court with some fairly good offerings in it such as chilis and tgi fridays as well as burger king and a pizza place. be sure and visit the Apple Barn, its interesting too.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night with 4 small children

Opryland does have an indoor pool but it could be a mile walk to it depending on what room you stay in!

I love Opryland Hotel but be warned it is a LOT of walking.

My family and I have been very disapointed in Rainforest food and service the last 2 times. We have herd it is better at the Aquaruim Restaurant. They have the stingray thing to. I do like when the Rainforest has the birds to see out in the mall but last time I was there they did not have any.

aquariumrestaurants.com/aquariumnashville/

If you do not stay at Opryland Hotel or one that has a shuttle you can park in the back of the parking lot at Opry Mills and not have to pay $15. or more to park.

Do you know what a Dave and Busters is? Some people do not like to take children there because there is a bar in it and some of the games are as close as you can get to gambleing machines but children love the big game room and the food is good. (There is one in Opry Mills)