We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Location to stay/downtown or Airport

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Best Location to stay/downtown or Airport

I am travelling with my family in April to Nashville. First time. We want to do touristy things ie. opry, music city, zoo, aquarium, plantation tour, maybe a day trip to Memphis. Any advice on which local is better downtown or airport. I am finding better deals near the airport, but I dont' know how many minutes the airport is from downtown Nashville. Thanks

Judy in Calgary

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Location to stay/downtown or Airport

If you will have a car, I would opt for the Cool Springs area south of Nashville. Lots of shopping, restaurants and hotels. It is a short drive to the things to do around the city. One down side to staying downtown is having to pay for parking on top of the nightly room rate. Regarding your list, unless I have missed it (and I am in Nashville several times a year), there is no aquarium except for the restaurant at Opry Mills mall.

For Memphis, you may want to plan an overnight because it is a 3-4 hour drive each way.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Location to stay/downtown or Airport

We stayed at the Drury Inn & Suites at the airport and it was very nice. It was a short drive, maybe 10-15 minutes to get to downtown, Opry anywhere really. If you want to do a tour of the stars homes, Tommy Tours (www.tommystours.com) will pick you up at the hotel and take you back. This is a great tour and tour quide.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Location to stay/downtown or Airport

Can you recommend a hotel in Cool springs? Is it easy to get around in Nashville via car?

Thanks

Judy

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Location to stay/downtown or Airport

Thanks for the tip on the tour! I think we would like to stay somewhere closer to downtown, but NOT downtown. Any suggestions? Is it easy to drive in Nashville?

Thanks

Judy

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Location to stay/downtown or Airport

Easiest way to see hotels in Cool Springs area is to go to Expedia and enter your dates and Nashville as the location. When the big list comes up, use the options at the top to refine the list. From the "Show Hotels in an Area" list, choose Brentwood. This will show you basically everything south of Nashville. There are lots of good options from low-priced motels (Red Roof Inn) to full service hotels (Marriott). On the left side of my page in this thread is an ad for a deal at Aloft. It is a brand of the W hotel chain. It is in a good location. I wouldn' hesitate to stay at any place in the Brentwood/Cool Springs/Franklin areas. All are nice, safe with lots of restaurants and shopping around.

Regarding driving, I think it is easy to drive, but I am used to it. Some areas get very congested at times, but overall it is not as bad as a lot of other cities.

Nashville
Level Contributor
125 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Location to stay/downtown or Airport

Bella12: I'd nominate you pursue hotels in the airport area (Donelson Pike/Elm Hill Pike/Marriott Dr/Atrium Way). Broad range of service levels and pricing (Motel 6, Drury Inn, Courtyard, Country Inn & Suites, Hampton Inn, Residence Inn, Marriott, Embassy Suites, Sheraton, etc), and a close/easier drive to downtown. Also closer drive to the whole Opry tourist bit (Opryland hotel, Opry Mills retail/shopping center, Grand Ole Opry House). For a plantation, I'll vouch for "The Hermitage", which is in nearby Hermitage (imagine that), approx 9 miles from airport area.

As someone else stated, driving here isn't too bad (some mild rush hour, and use of directional/turn signal flashers apparently is optional).

The Zoo is decent. No aquarium in town.

Re: Daytrip to Memphis, you're talking a good 3+ hr drive, so not sure if it's time-feasible, but that's your call.

7. Re: Best Location to stay/downtown or Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 08:19