We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed please on staying in Nashville with 2 kids

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
52 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed please on staying in Nashville with 2 kids

Hi everyone,

Planning our first trip to Nashville during spring break. Staying for 5 nights. Have recently relocated to the USA (DC area) from Australia & will have my parents with us who will be here on vacation from Australia plus our 2 children aged almost 3 & 11. Flying in to Nashville so won't have our car but if necessary we will get a rental.

Not sure whether staying downtown will be too busy and hectic for our girls (they are seasoned travellers however) or whether this is our best option as we won't have a car. Is it possible to get to the popular tourist spots in Nashville without a car if staying downtown? We plan to do a tour (Tommy's tours), check out the CM Hall of Fame & catch some live performances if we can find anything suitable for our girls etc.

Have also taken a look at the accomdation in the airport area as the rates are more favorable but that would be negated by the cost of a rental assuming we would need a car if we stay in that area.

Have searched through this forum but I'm getting even more confused. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
925 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed please on staying in Nashville with 2 kids

I don't think downtown will be too much for your kids by any stretch. Lower Broadway is a main hub for the tourist nightlife, but that begins in the evening; during the day there are people out walking and shopping, but it's not crowded or hectic (unless a major event like the CMAs is happening). Staying downtown will also mean you can walk to decent restaurants.

Unfortunately, you'll probably run out of things to do within walking distance of a downtown hotel after about 2 days. Beyond that, if you want to see the Opryland hotel/mall, the historical sites (the Hermitage, Franklin), shop or eat in the Vanderbilt University area, visit Cheekwood Gardens, etc. you'd need to have a car or to rely on taxis.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
52 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed please on staying in Nashville with 2 kids

Thank-you for your reply. I'll go ahead & see what accomodation I can find that's suitable for us downtown. Happy to organise maybe a rental for a couple of days to see some of the other sights you mentioned. Thanks again for your help!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed please on staying in Nashville with 2 kids

I recommend renting a car for, at least, part of your trip. Unfortunately, Nashville is just not that walkable of a city and the public transportation options are very limited.

I would also recommend staying downtown or in the West End/Vanderbilt area. Not sure what your budget is, but you shouldn't have a problem finding nice accomodations. Downtown has the Hermitage Hotel, Hilton, Sheraton, Renaissance, Hampton, Doubletree, Courtyard, Homewood Suites and a few others. The midtown/West End/Vanderbilt area has Holiday Inn Select, Marriott, Hampton, Embassy Suites, Hotel Indigo, and Hutton Hotel.

You may want to visit the Opryland Hotel, but avoid staying out there. You will find yourself amid tourist traps and isolated from the city.

Try to see a show at the Ryman, but the kids may not be into that. Definitely see some live music while you're here, though. It won't be hard to find.

I highly recommend a day trip to Franklin (about 30 minutes south of town). It's full of civil war history, historic homes, has a great main street and some great dining and shopping.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
705 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed please on staying in Nashville with 2 kids

I personally would stay n the Opryland area with kids and take the shuttle to downtown. I would also look for an indoor pool. There is alot at Opry Mills for kids to do.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed please on staying in Nashville with 2 kids

Near Opryland hotel is Cooter's Garage, a free museum to the Dukes of Hazzard, the free Grand Ole Opry museum (to the right of the Opryhouse), Opry Mills mall, it has two themed restaurants, one with an aquarium, the other is Rainforest, an IMAX, aquarium in the Bass Pro shop, which has many fishing boats to climb up into, the Hermitage is great if you love history. There is a back stage Opry tour that is interesting, we saw J. Simpson entering while we were there.ds The General Jackson cruise is fun if you can swing it, last year they had Chinese acrobats on the dinner show.

Nashville
Level Contributor
125 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed please on staying in Nashville with 2 kids

My Two-Cents: Go for renting the car. Schlepping around downtown, particularly for the 3yr old, can get old/tiring. Besides, for what you'd pay for a resonably nice hotel downtown (Hilton Suites; etc), you can save so much more by staying near the airport area (Donelson Pike/Elm Hill Pike) at a fairly comparable quality hotel and pocket the significant $$ difference to pay for the car rental and more.

Hoosier-poster hit on good advice as far as Opry Mills. Aside from stores and stuff he mentioned, they also have a safe rock climbing exhibit for the kids in one store (I think store is called Sun and Surf or something like that) and (as of one month ago) have a carousel ride and stingray "petting tank" - strange combo, I know.

The weekend eve shows at the Grand Old Opry are clean and fun, although maybe 2/3 or more of the performers are "old school" - good news for some, maybe not so "cool" for the 11yr old.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
52 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed please on staying in Nashville with 2 kids

Thanks every one for the great info. Looking forward to our first trip to Nashville!

8. Re: Advice needed please on staying in Nashville with 2 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 03:19