We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving: Nashville to Memphis

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Driving: Nashville to Memphis

End of July ... if we go along I-40 -- what is there to stop and see?

Or can someone suggest a more scenic route? Thanks.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving: Nashville to Memphis

This question has been asked before. I think Loretta Lynn has a ranch somewhere along I-40 but I am not sure where. You may google it perhaps. Apart from that, there is nothing else.

Any alternative route would probably add more time on your journey. So, if you don't fancy Loretta Lynn's ranch, just keep going and get to Memphis.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving: Nashville to Memphis

Hi Eaglemaniac,

Here's the link to Loretta Lynn's Ranch: http://www.lorettalynn.com/ranch/

Here's a link to a neat website about roadside sites in Tennessee: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/map/tn

If you enjoy U.S. history, you could take the beautiful Natchez Trace Parkway http://www.nps.gov/natr/ down to Hwy 64.

Head west and visit the Shiloh National Military Park. http://www.nps.gov/shil/

Bob

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving: Nashville to Memphis

Hi

I intend driving that route and was planning on breaking the journey at Casey Jones village. This place never seems to get a memtion, does this mean it's really bad? Here in the UK Casey Jones was a childrens programme so when I saw the place I thought it was worth a stop. Childhood memories,LOL.

Clive

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving: Nashville to Memphis

Thank you. Whenever I put a question on TA I have lots of homework to do. I appreciate the replies.

A few years ago, we drove from Tupelo to Jackson along the Natchez -- it was awesome. Now back to the web.. a search for Casey Jones is on the list. I think my papework for this driving trip will be heavier than my luggage. Thank you.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving: Nashville to Memphis

We frequently travel between Nashville and Memphis to visit family. I find the drive extremely un-scenic and best accomplished quickly! It is really just over 3 hours, and in late July, it will likely be over 90 degrees and humid. So unless you need to stretch your legs or get a drink, I'd keep going!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving: Nashville to Memphis

Here's another suggestion Eaglemaniac if you decide to take the direct I-40 interstate route. Make a few stops at some of our great Tennessee wineries along the way. Stop and taste, and hopefully purchase some of the good wines available. Plus, it's a great excuse to use the restrooms and stretch your legs. It will heip break up a very boring drive. Below are links to some wineries along the way:

www.tennesseewines.com/wineries.htm

www.gswinery.com

www.OldMedinaWinery.com

www.CenturyFarmWinery.com

www.OldMillingtonWinery.com

Bob

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving: Nashville to Memphis

P.S. My favorite are the red and white Muscadine wines!!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving: Nashville to Memphis

Loretta Lynn's Ranch is located at the Waverly TN. exit. And not far from the interstate.

One word of advise to all that travel this stretch of interstate; please slow down when raining! 9 years ago my younger sister lost her life on that stretch of interstate do to speeding drivers. (she was helping someone else that had wrecked/hydroplaned and along came another car that had hydroplaned hitting her) After those quick summer showers parts of that interstate is very slippery. Slow down!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving: Nashville to Memphis

Thank you for more suggestions. But you know, I don't drink alcohol, but my travelling companions do and I'm always the driver for our winery lunches. I am sure they'll be pleased to know about them in TN. I am sorry to hear about your sister, and as we drive on the left side of the road here, I am always careful when in the States, cos I'm petrified, especially in the cities. The others won't drive at all. And Casey Jones looks like a pit stop just to stretch the legs and have a drink and a look. Counting the months and days now.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving: Nashville to Memphis

There's not much at Casey Jones to see. The restaurant there is pretty good if you like southern and fried. Loretta Lynn's is kind of cheesy, but if you like Loretta it's worth the trip. If you don't know who she is, then don't bother.

The more scenic trip is what someone suggested, go south to U.S. 64 and travel along that way. Lots of small southern towns with courthouse squares. Just watch your speed along the way.