We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing and Unique Dining

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing and Unique Dining

My husband and I will be visiting Nashville July 8 - July 13 and willl be renting a car. We would like to drive around and see some of the neighborhoods, including mansions, possibly stars' homes, etc. We know that we can take Tommy's Tours, and possibly may do so. Is this something that we can (or should) do on our own? Are maps available - at Visitor's Center or elsewhere? We notice on Trip Advisor that Nash Trash Tours and Tommys Tours are the top-rated attractions in Nashville. Should we try to fit one or both of these into our itinerary?

We are also looking for unique Nashville dining experiences and were thinking of the following: Loveless Cafe, Germantown Cafe,

Monnell's, Restaurant Zola, Marche Artisan Cafe and/or Margot's. Possibly the Capitol Grille (to also visit the Hermitage Hotel). We would appreciate your thoughts, additions, or deletions. For the most part, we have a gourmet palate, but would like to enjoy the local flavor! We enjoy all food types.

We would really appreciate your assistance. Thank you!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing and Unique Dining

Hi topsweeper,

It looks like you did some homework before posting. Thank you! If you could choose one tour, I would pick Tommy's Tours, but I would do both if possible.

Here are a few of my favorite home sites to visit:

The Hermitage - Home of Andrew Jackson, the seventh President of the United States. www.thehermitage.com

The Parthenon - www.nashville.gov/Parthenon/index.htm

Travellers Rest - www.travellersrestplantation.org

Belle Meade Plantation - www.bellemeadeplantation.com

Franklin, TN - Great for shopping and history. www.historicfranklin.com (Tip: Take 8th Avenue/Franklin Road to Franklin, instead of I-65. Once you get through Melrose, and especially Brentwood, you'll see some very nice homes along the way!)

I've always enjoyed Loveless Cafe, Monell's, Sylvan Park Restaurant, and Arnold's Country Kitchen.

Bob

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing and Unique Dining

Tommy's is an actual tour, NashTrash is a comedy act disguised as a tour. Absolutely hilarious, but not really a tour.

You have great choices, but you could add BBQ to the list. I would pick up lunch at the Hog Heaven and picnic at the Parthenon in Centennial Park. My fave is the turkey with white sauce. Jack's downtown gets great reviews too.

For Bluegrass, the Station Inn can't be beat. Bluebird for up & coming songwriters is an institution.

Cheekwood is beautiful too, nice to round out a visit to Belle Meade Plantation (they are 5 minutes away from eachother). Downtown Franklin has much charm, history and very good dining. Red Pony & Sol, as well as Saffire at the Factory in Franklin are all good. You could check out some Civil War historic sites and plantations nearby.

Know that it will be very hot then, humid too. Have a great trip.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
925 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing and Unique Dining

Good list, topsweeper! If you hit all those restaurants you're going to have some awesome meals. I'd also consider City House - they're doing the slow food thing really well & it's one of our new favorites.

I'll second nashpam's BBQ in Centennial Park idea. There's a small museum in the bottom of the Parthenon if you need to get into the AC for a little bit.

I'd also suggest the Vanderbilt/Hillsboro Village area for a nice half day or so of shopping and wandering.

Oakland
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing and Unique Dining

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions. We'll be incorporating many of them into our Nashville visit! We love the idea of picking up barbeque at the Hog Heaven and picnic near the Parthenon!. Nice to know about the small air-conditioned museum there, too! We definitely will plan to visit some of the historic/plantation homes, Vanderbilt/Hillsboro Village, and Downtown Franklin. Thanks, SmokyMtnz (Bob) for letting us know about the "scenic" way to Franklin. We'll add all of your restaurant recommendations to our list and we'll probably have to come back to Nashville in order to try them all. There is so much to see and do in Music City and we'll be sure to stop in at the Bluebird Cafe and the Station Inn. Thank you again, SmokyMtnz (Bob), nashpam, and wallace 63. We really appreciate and your recommendations will certainly add to our visit!

Gratefully...Topsweeper

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing and Unique Dining

Hey Topsweeper,

When you get back and find time, be sure to start a new topic and write a Trip Report letting everyone know what you did and liked or disliked. We very much enjoy reading them AND it really helps other folks planning to come to Nashville.

Also, if you have the time, you can give individual place ratings of your hotel, restaurants, etc. that you visited on TripAdvisor. That helps a lot too!

Thanks!!

Bob

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing and Unique Dining

For unique dining, how about a dinner cruise/show on the General Jackson riverboat near Oprymills Mall?

Oakland
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sightseeing and Unique Dining

Hi Hoosier2, thank you for the suggestion. We're glad that you recommend the General Jackson dinner/cruise as we have tickets for next week. That Friday evening, we will be attending a performance at the Grand Old Opry. For our first three nights, we are staying at the Gaylord Old Opry Hotel - which makes these attractions very convenient. We will be spending our last two nights at the Downtown Hilton, so we will have the opportunity to enjoy accommodations in two different areas.

We appreciate everyone's comments and we will be happy to report back on our trip upon our return.

8. Re: Sightseeing and Unique Dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2009, 05:18