We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good place for barbecue

Ohio
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
good place for barbecue

We are going to be passing through Nashville on our way to Pensacola and I was hoping someone could suggest a good place to stop for barbecue. We will be coming through on I-65. Thanks!!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good place for barbecue

Hi OhioTravelingirl,

You may want to keep driving on I-65 past Nashville and about 15 - 20 minutes later and stop at the area we call Cool Springs. (If you're a shopper, you'll love this area!) I would suggest eating at Famous Dave's. Although I've never eaten there, my friends and coworkers rave about the place and food.

Here are some links to help you find it:

Map & reviews: http://tinyurl.com/n62nv9

Bob

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good place for barbecue

It's about 20-30 minutes off of I-65, but there is nothing that compares with Martins Barbeque. Their website is www.martinsbbqjoint.com. Take the Concord Road East exit off of I-65. You may feel like you won't be arriving quickly enough, but it is worth the drive. I promise. Their building looks like something from a carribean beach biz shack, which makes the atmosphere way cool!

He does whole hog smoking/cooking for over 20 hours. He's fine-tuned his technique and somehow extracted many secrets from old-timer bbq pitmasters. I love the baby back ribs (ordered wet), and their brisket tacos. Your mouth watering yet?

Enjoy!

nashville
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good place for barbecue

Sorry, but Famous Daves is NOT GOOD!! If you want good southern bbq definitely go to Martins... Famous Daves is a chain.. Martins is family owned and Amazing.. and not too long of a drive off the interstate. Also, they are putting a new BBQ in Brentwood off of 65 Judge Beans, on Church St. and its just off the interstate. Its been a Nashville Favorite for a long time and they just moved to brentwood.

nashville
Level Contributor
302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good place for barbecue

So, when you say "barbecue" do you mean pulled pork?

Or like ribs or smoked chicken? Some places here even serve barbecued bologna!

Ok heres Myyyyy Opinion:

Hog Heaven off of West End Ave behind the McDonalds & in front of Centennial Park. It is a hole-in-the-wall! 2 tables! But you can take your smoky pulled pork (or shredded chicken or turkey)BBQ sandwiches over to the park & eat 'em sittin on the steps of the Parthenon !! Get the white sauce! Its spicy, kinda horse-radishy. Yummy!

But you guys, I gave Martins a try & it did not wow me. I wanted to love it, but didnt. It is simply not worth the drive.

Famous daves is a restaurant chain that use to be good but has gone downhill...the BBQ is always Cold----Yuck!

Mentioned in this post
Centennial Park
Centennial Park
1,681 Reviews
Nashville, TN
The Parthenon
The Parthenon
3,549 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good place for barbecue

North of town, 10 minutes off of I-65 in Hendersonville is a longtime favorite, Center Point Barbecue. Big menu of southern veggies, really great chopped pork, DELICIOUS in every way. Take I-65 to Viet Nam Vets PKY, exit at Center Point Road, it will be immediately on the right.

Once saw Lorrie Morgan slug Sammy Kershaw from across the table here...

Mentioned in this post
Center Point Barbecue
Center Point Barbecue
15 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good place for barbecue

So OhioTravelingirl,

From what I got from all this is to skip Nashville and try some other city. LOL!! Good luck!

Bob

7. Re: good place for barbecue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 05:18