We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about public transportation

NJ
Level Contributor
277 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Question about public transportation

I've been trying to figure out our transportation requirements before our trip to Nashville. We really don't want to rent a car.

What bus route would take us from downtown (near the Hermitage Hotel) to the Acuff Theater? Could we then walk to the Grand Ole Opry?

Are there buses out to Belmont College?

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about public transportation

Their website is www.nashvillemta.org, you cna check out their schedules. Yes, they go to both places.

Personally, I'd cab it.

NJ
Level Contributor
277 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about public transportation

Is there a problem with the bus system?

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about public transportation

I have not been on a bus since the early 80's, but I hear people say that the buses can be unreliable and inconvenient. Nashville is a real driving city, most of those who take the bus do so because they don't have a car.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about public transportation

No, there is not necessarily a problem with the bus system, we just do not have the type of public transportation systems you have and are used to up north. Nashville, except for the immediate downtown area, is quite spread out and it is recommended that you rent a car because of that. You may be standing at a bus stop with some shady characters for a very long time waiting for the bus. People of all types and socioeconomic status use public transportation up north, when generally means they are safer, but to be quite honest, that is not always the case here. I don't mean that to be offensive, and don't get me wrong, Nashville is a safe place to visit, but trust me- take a cab or rent a car here.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
705 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about public transportation

i have been on buses in some other major cities and ours isn't that great. People use it to go to work and back and not much else. The people that are on it at other times can be questionable to say the least. I wouldn't rely on it and would look into a cab. Check with your hotel aboud arrainging transportation since the Opry house is a common place for people to go, they may have somebody they use regularly.

NJ
Level Contributor
277 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about public transportation

Thanks for all the great feedback. We've decided to rent a car for the day.

7. Re: Question about public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 05:18