We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas of oustanding natural beauty near Nashville

hove
Level Contributor
90 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Areas of oustanding natural beauty near Nashville

Hello

Planning a trip for next March that takes us around Tennessee but mostly based in Nahsville and Memphis.

Will be doing the usual nightlife stuff but wanted some good old fashioned great outdoors.

Only have about 5 days and was hoping to get to go for walk in a nice big forest/waterall/site of natural beauty.

I was looking at Natchez Trace. This seems to be just a long pretty road with a few trees either side. Am I way off with this?

Other recommendations for nature sights would be most appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas of oustanding natural beauty near Nashville

Yes, the NT is a wonderful drive, not a hiking destination. A few historical markers to stop at.

Check out Fall Creek Falls in TN, a bit over an hour east of Nashville.

In Nashville, there is a great city park called Warner Parks. Lots of trails, a nice nature center. March can be cool and rainy, so plan accordingly.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas of oustanding natural beauty near Nashville

Hi yazzman13,

Besides NashPam's suggestions, I would suggest you check out these places located in Nashville or a few miles outside Nashville:

Radnor Lake: www.radnorlake.org

Nashville Greenways: www.nashville.gov/greenways/

Brentwood Greenways: www.brentwood-tn.org/index.aspx?page=144

Bob

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas of oustanding natural beauty near Nashville

I second Nashpam's suggestion of Fall Creek Falls. There are three high waterfalls, one lower but very wide one, lots of rapids. The main falls is the highest east of the Rockies. March is usually our wettest month, so the flow of water over the falls will be huge.

Hiking trails at FCF include everything from a level, paved trail around a lake, to paths down into the canyons, one so steep you hang onto a steel cable as you go down. There are easy trails through the forests, too, and many places to walk out to the edge of a sheer drop and enjoy the view. Also, several swinging bridges over streams and canyons.

Burgess Falls is a only an hour from Nashville. A recent magazine article said it was the most beautiful waterfall in the state. It's just a few miles off of the Interstate.

Bob's suggestion of Radnor Lake is excellent. It is a beautiful natural area in the middle of the city limits. Very quiet and serene, completely surrounded by high, wooded hills.

Rock Island State Park, near Fall Creek Falls, has an unusual waterfall. Instead of flowing over a cliff, an underground river shoots out from between layers of rock on the side of a cliff. Beautiful, but not anything else to see or do there.

About 80 miles from Nashville is South Cumberland State Park. Great hiking and a few waterfalls. Some of the most popular trails are Foster Falls, Stone Door, Fiery Gizzard, Greeter Falls, and Savage Gulf.

I live near the Natchez Trace, and your assessment is correct, except that there are a LOT of trees on both sides. So many that you can't see much else.

Rick

hove
Level Contributor
90 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas of oustanding natural beauty near Nashville

thanks for all your replies...will check em out!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas of oustanding natural beauty near Nashville

Fall Creek Falls is actually -two- hours east and south of Nashville. A long day trip, but maybe worth it. Another spectacularly beautiful area in that region is Scott's Gulf, north of Fall Creek Falls State Park. It was only discovered about forty years ago, which is neat. Most of the land is privately owned, but there's one bit, the Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness. It's an outstanding spot. There's a massive cave system under Scott's Gulf with over twenty entrances and a few underground creeks. One of these creeks flows for miles underground, then emerges from the side of a ridge and falls one hundred and fifty feet right into another cave, into which it disappears. The hole it goes into is about fifty feet tall, so you get to view the falls from a third of the way up. The falls is called Virgin Falls. A trail leads around the depression around the falls so you can enjoy it from all angles, and eventually leads to the top of the falls. If you wish, you can descend into the enormous cavern through which the cave flows. I went a fair ways back in it; it's pretty neat. On a different visit a friend of mine walked for an hour following the creek and then had to turn around.

If that weren't enough, there's another waterfall along the trail called Big Laurel Falls. It falls off of an overhang, swings around to the back of the cave, and disspears into the ground. The cave is a neat place to hang out in, and those falls are worth the trip in themselves.

Four other sites along the trail include the smaller Big Branch Falls, Sheep Cave (with the adjoining Sheep Falls if there's been rain lately), Caney Fork River, and Martha's (really really really) Pretty Point. It's an eight mile hike round trip (with over 1,000 ft elevation change, maybe more) not counting the extensions to Martha's Pretty Point, the Caney Fork River, or Sheep Cave if you want to throw one or two of those in.

It's a fantastic hike, my most favourite in Tennessee. Here's a site with photos: http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/vfpw1.htm

If you're really into the outdoors, you some time to go round the Cumberland Plateau and stop a while in Chattanooga.

>> The main falls is the highest east of the Rockies. <<

I don't think that's right. I've got a web site in my favourites that says the following: "Fall Creek Falls in Tennessee, dropping 256 feet, has been regarded as the tallest single drop east of the Rockies. However, that claim is shot down by Buckeye Falls, also located in Tennessee, which is said to drop about 475 feet, and North Carolina's Hickory Nut Falls, which drops 404 feet over a rounded cliff...To the best of our knowledge, the title of tallest waterfall east of the Rocky Mountains belongs to both New Hampshire's Beaver Brook Cascades, and Virginia's Crabtree Falls. Both waterfalls drop approximately 1,000 feet in about 2/3 of a mile."

www.world-waterfalls.com/myths.php#rockies

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
6. Re: Areas of oustanding natural beauty near Nashville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2010, 05:17