We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquor Question

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
207 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Liquor Question

Will be driving to Alabama where liquor is quite expensive. Does Nashville have liquor available for purchase at supermarkets or do you need to go to a liquor store? Is it reasonably priced? Please give me some guidance. I hear some counties are dry and you cannot purchase liquor? I am throwing a Margarita Party when we get back to Bama and wanted to get the fixins...help please.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
400 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquor Question

Nashville has some CRAZY liquor laws. You can only buy wine/liquor in the liquor store - closed at 11pm and all day Sunday. You can buy beer in the any grocery/convenience store - after noon on Sun and I think cutoff is 11pm during the week - I don't drink beer so not sure. Alcohol is reasonably priced. Yes, there are dry counties in Tennessee where you cannot buy any liquor - Nashville (Davidson County) is not dry!

My favorite liquor store is J Barleycorn's - they have huge selection and always very nice! http://www.jbarleycorn.com/

Have fun at your party.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquor Question

Hi jpasta,

ec92 is spot on about having some crazy liquor laws. ec92 is correct about not being able to buy wine/liquor in a grocery/convenience store. Since you posted in the Nashville forum and mentioned liquor, I'll stick to that. If you want more info about beer and high alcohol beers, let us know.

Liquor stores can be open Monday to Saturday 8 am to 11 pm. Some, during the week, will open later or close earlier. All liquor stores are closed on Sunday. ...unless you can find a bootlegger! LOL

One can not purchase corkscrews, mixers, colas, or any non-alcohol item in a liquor store. One has to go to a grocery/convenience store to purchase that stuff. Luckily, many liquor stores incorporate a convenience store "next door".

I have never been to J Barleycorn's, but have heard great things about them. I have two other suggestions you may want to check out, mostly depending on your location when in Nashville. Both of these have a convenience store within the same building to purchase mixers, beer, etc. (Prices at all three places will probably be about the same.)

Midtown Wine and Spirits: http://midtownwineandspirits.com/

Frugal MacDoogal: www.frugalmacdoogal.com

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Bob

florida
Level Contributor
207 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquor Question

Thanks guys, I appreciate all your information as I am not used to all these rules, dry counties, etc as I am formerly from CA where you can buy anything, anytime, anywhere, etc and now live in FL where it is about the same way. Your help and the links are appreciated. I am looking forward to coming to see Nashville and the Opry!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquor Question

I've purchased mixers in liquor stores in TN. Actually last bottle of wine I bought they gave me a corkscrew too. The coke products items like that you def. would have to go to a regular store. Margarita , Pina Colada, bloody mary mix, etc. all are at liquor stores.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
400 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liquor Question

My opinion - Midtown is a great place to buy GOOD wine and they are very nice - I like to browse and ask questions. I don't think they have a great liquor selection.

Frugal's is a huge warehouse - they have EVERYTHING, but I get overwhelmed and when I ask questions - they are a little short and I have to wander around until I find what I'm looking for.

Don't buy alcohol near Opryland or any tourist areas - prices are a rip-off. If you want to tell us where you are staying - we can advise which is closest?

florida
Level Contributor
207 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liquor Question

Actually staying at BW Opryland area but we have the car and my friends have a GPS so can find anything. Thanks for your help everyone!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liquor Question

Hi Titansfan211,

I think our definition of mixer is different. :-)

A mixer to me is a non-alcohol mix that one adds liquor to. Like a Bloody Mary mixer and add vodka to it yourself. I have recently see those in liquor stores because they contain about .5% alcohol. Interesting.

What you're thinking about, I think, is what I call a premixed drink. Some of them are VERY good! But, usually much more expensive than mixing them yourself.

Not all liquor stores will give you a corkscrew. I am almost positive that it's illegal to sell one. I'll ask at Midtown Friday night.

I agree with ec92. Midtown has some pretty good help. Three months ago I visited Frugal's and asked them where I can find local wines. No one in the whole place knew. The answer I finally got was "Look around. It's spread out."

Bob

tennessee
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liquor Question

Liquor and wine are cheaper in Alabama than Tennessee. I live near the Alabama border and make a point of buying my alcohol in that state. I feel like a crummy Tennessee citizen sending my tax $$$ to Alabama, but the lower price and convenience of buying wine in the grocery store wins, I'm afraid. If you purchase your alcohol in Alabama, take note that the grocery stores sell wine and beer, not "hard" liquor. As previously noted, Tennessee has some crazy liquor laws - the liquor lobby pretty much runs the show, NOT the citizens or the legislature.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liquor Question

Hi SmokyMtnz, Your absolutely right. The mixers I bought had 1% alchol "i guess so they are aloud to sell it" The corkscrew was given to us. So i guess its ok for them to give it away just not sell it to us. My mistake and sorry for any confusion.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Liquor Question

No problem, Titansfan211. Here's another quirk with the liquor laws: Although they can not sell you a corkscrew, they can sell you a bottle of wine and a corkscrew if the corkscrew is sold as one (shrink wrapped or boxed together) Or, a drinking glass boxed with a bottle of vodka.

When my father owned his liquor store near Nashville in the 70's, it was illegal to have/watch a TV in a liquor store, or have a back door. WEIRD!

Hey jpasta, have a great Margarita Party!!

Bob