We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise Trip

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
639 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Surprise Trip

My 65 yr old mother has dreamed of visiting Nashville ever since she was a little girl. She has even indicated when she dies she wants to be cremated and sprinkled over Nashville since it is the only way she'll get there ... I'm crazy excited to be planning a SURPRISE dream vacation for her next June! It will be a girl's trip with her, my 5 yr old daughter and myself. She will be floored when I present her with the trip!

My mom loves classic country but isn't a honky tonk lady. I'm trying to come up with an amazing trip and am going for WOW!! Would you suggest staying at the Opryland Hotel???

I'm planning on attending a show at the Grand Ol Opry, shopping the Opry Mills, taking a showboat ride on the General Jackson and visiting the Country Music Hall of Fame ... Do you have any other suggestions that both she and my 5 yr old may enjoy???

Thanks for your help!

norway
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprise Trip

I'm sure she would love a tour of the Ryman Auditorium, home of the Opry from 1943-1974. You might even be lucky enough to experience a concert there as well. If your mother loves to sing, maybe she would like to record her own record while visiting. http://ryman.com/makearecord.html

The Ernest Tubb record shop might be a place she would like. ET's tour-bus is on display in the store.

Every saturday night, following the Grand Ole Opry, the Midnight Jamboree broadcast live from the Texas Troubadour Theatre. http://etrecordshop.com/mj.htm

Get up early Sunday morning and bring your mother to the Nashville Cowboy Church (Texas Troubadour Theatre) for some great Country artists singing great Gospel songs combinded with the ministry of Joanne Cash Yates and her husband Harry Yates. You can also listen to the service at wsmonline.com

nashvillecowboychurch.org/design/…index.htm

I'm sure your daughter will love the Opry Mills. My four year old daughter loved it. The huge carosel in the middle of the food-court was great fun.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surprise Trip

Hi onesassymom,

Orpossum2 is spot on about places for you all to visit. If your mother is a musician or wants to know about the great folks behind the scenes, be sure to check out the Musician's Hall of Fame downtown. www.musicianshalloffame.com

Be sure to check out the Opryland website often to check out their packages that would include many of the sites you want to see.

If she also likes great antebellum homes, let everyone know and we can direct you on that path.

Bob

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
639 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surprise Trip

Is the Musician's Hall of Fame different than the Country Music Hall of Fame?

Also, do you suggest Opryland at the WOW hotel to stay at???

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
639 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surprise Trip

correction ... Opryland AS the Wow! Hotel for us to stay at???

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surprise Trip

Hello,

The attractions mentioned above are good not to miss. If it were me and I were staying in Nashville for the first time and trying to get a feel for the culture and history that I grew up wanting to experience my lodging would be downtown near the Ryman and Country Music Hall of Fame, the lower Broadway area where I could walk a couple of blocks from my hotel and be in a venue featuring old time singers still performing Country tunes or young singers looking to be discovered, or line dancing being taught to members of the audience. Save Opryland Hotel for a visit for dinner or a show, but unless I am reading your mother wrong, the complex's sprawling layout would be like a Disney imitation of what she's grown up enjoying.

Good Downtown hotels which carry on the old higher end feel in the right area are The Hermitage, with a rather small but grand old lobby and a historic feel and Union Station Hotel, which as the name implies is the renovated former gothic styled Nashville train station. I've stayed at The Hermitage, but not Union Station so I can't vouch for it's sleeping rooms, only the terrific architecture & design. If you begin your days in the neighborhood which reflects the early days of the stars and near the Grand Ol Opry's birthplace I think she'll get more of what she's looking for. Just a thought.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surprise Trip

I wouldn't rule out the Opryland Hotel...

It is a sight to see in itself, the conservatory is beautiful, lots of places to explore. It is HUGE, lots of walking. But it is convenient to the outlet mall and the Opry show (if it is not at the Ryman). I think the hotel is a WOW, but the rooms are pretty generic.

And the Country Music HOF and the Writers HOF are not the same. The CMHOF is very well-done, tracing the history of the genre, lots of memorabilia from the clasic artists.

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Surprise Trip

http://www.musicianshalloffame.com/

http://www.countrymusichalloffame.org/

If Mom is able to walk a lot Opryland Hotel will be real nice, there is so much to see just right there in the hotel.

You are packing a lot in to one trip.

I would do a tour or 2 on the first day or two like Tommy's Tours. You will learn so much and then decide what you see that you want to go back to.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surprise Trip

My husband and I were just in Nashville for the weekend, and stayed out near Opryland. While it was a decent area to stay in, we both agreed that staying downtown and taking a trip out to Opryland would've been a little nicer. We didn't go into any of the hotels downtown, but the Union Station Wyndham (as mentioned previously) was beautiful - at least from the outside! We wanted to experience the live music scene, so we spent a lot of time downtown and were able to score tickets to the Opry at the Ryman Auditorium- wonderful experience! As far as large cities go, the driving and parking downtown were both very reasonable. We parked for an entire day for $11 (weekend), and although there are some one-way streets, it's very easy to navigate if you have a map or GPS. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me!

9. Re: Surprise Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2010, 05:18