We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scratching the surface

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
207 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Scratching the surface

In the coming year we are looking to switch our timeshare to visit Nashville. We are limited to staying because of availability in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. Don't know how far away from Nashville they are. But we would like to know everything there is to do in Nashville. We only have a week we are looking to go in mid April. Also if there is anything to do in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. It will be just my wife and I and we do try to cram everything we can in a week. We are early 50's so we don't mind walking around towns either

thanks

Frank

St. Augustine...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville, Saint Augustine Beach
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scratching the surface

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are actually about 3 1/2 to 4 hours away from Nashville so you would be traveling quite far to get there. In saying that what exactly are you looking to do in Nashville? Tours, Historical, etc. The great thing about Nashville is that you have alot of surrounding smaller towns to explore as well as the downtown nashville area.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
207 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scratching the surface

Yes maybe tours just to experience the whole Grand ole oprey (sp,) experience. We have never been there so we are relying on the experts to help us out

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
207 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scratching the surface

maybe even the Smokey Mountians

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scratching the surface

The Smoky Mountains are where Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge are, like Ellyanne said, 4 hours form Nashville. Are you planningon visiting the mountains AND Nashville, or does your timeshare offer nights in Nashville? You should check the appropriate forums for Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg activities.

Some of my favorite things to do with out of town guests are historic Franklin, including the Carter House and Carnton. Bluegrass at the Station Inn, Cheekwood, Belle Meade Plantation, the Country Music Hall of Fame, Grand Ole Opry. Antiquing on 8th avenue south, shopping in Green Hills, a nice drive on the Natchez Trace, a meal at the Loveless Cafe or Monell's.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
207 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scratching the surface

I have noticed Pigeon Forge has a lot more "shows" dinner shows and events or attractions more so than Gatlinburg. Again our timeshare only offers resorts in these two areas, but of the two Pigeon Forge seems to have more attractions.

Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Scratching the surface

Are you saying that you can use your timeshare in Nashville or PF/Gatlinburg area? If it is in the PF/Gatlinburg area there is a ton of stuff to do and the driving time between PF/GB is 10 minutes tops (depending on traffic), so you could actually enjoy both cities and all they have to offer.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
207 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scratching the surface

TIMESHARE is only offered in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. What is the best way to find out what there is to do in April??

Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Scratching the surface

I've never been in April, but hope to make it a trip sometime. Plenty of websites have event listings (schedules/calendars), here's a few:

www.gatlinburgtnlive.com (webcams)

www.insidegatlinburg.com

www.mysmokymountainvacation.com

www.pigeonforgeonline.com

Hope these help.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scratching the surface

Just want you to be aware that Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge can be terribly crowded at times- especially if the local kids are on spring break and weekends. The Smoky Mountains are very beautiful, but in my opinion, you can still see them and avoid the tourist traps in the area as well, unless you are really into putt putt, go carts and outlet shopping. I have been to the area 15+ times and we have frequently experienced 1-2 hour traffic jams just to get from I-40 to Gatlinburg. It really depends on when you go, during the weekdays is best. We like Gatlinburg better than Pigeon Forge- it is easier to walk around. Be sure to find a pancake house while you are there.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scratching the surface

Frank,

Generally speaking the Wyndham (timeshare) Resort in Nashville is a pretty easy exchange to get through RCI. If I were you, given the amount of time you have before your trip, I would work to get a Nashville exchange if that is where you want to be.

We are there now (Wyndham Nashville) and are thoroughly enjoying the area. There is a lot to see and do, plus shopping if that is of interest to you or your wife.

If you need more information or assistance, please feel free to write me a PM.

Best wishes,

Von