We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jack daniels tour & zoo

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northern england
Level Contributor
70 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Jack daniels tour & zoo

Is the Jack Daniels tour worth doing? Any good tour operators that do this?

How long would it take to do the zoo properly, is it a full day trip? Is public transport easy to use to get to the zoo? How much would a taxi cost?

Thanks

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jack daniels tour & zoo

I live near the Jack Daniels distillery. Been to it many times. It is a free tour for all. Its about 45 minutes long. A lot of history on how the whiskey got started, Jack himself, and some on the town it is in (Lynchburg) It is a beautiful country town! (Population 361) They do give you a (free) ride to the top of the hill, there you will have a group picture took (FREE) after that its all walking (slow pace) down hill, stopping at many sites for the guide to talk about. The guides are very good. I think most have grown up and live by there. If you go Monday-Friday you will get to go through the plant and see the workers working (putting labels on bottles, etc.) Sat. & Sun. you still go through this part but no operation going on. I think its worth taking the time to visit. And don't forget to visit the town too. Within walking distance from Jack's. The buildings are just like they were from 50+ years ago and they all have some sort of buisness in them. (a good feeling....Makes me feel like I slipped years in the past.....LOL) The wait for a tour will not be that long. (usually a few minutes) The lobby is real interesting. At the end of the tour you go into the (White Rabbit) Saloon and have a (FREE) glass of Jack Daniel Lemonade (alcohol free) This is the only place in that county that sells Jack Daniel. (there will be a few on TA that disagree with me on this but I have lived "next-door" for 25+ yrs.)

From Nashville to Lynchburg is about 1 hour drive. Several different ways to get to Lynchburg off of I-65 and off of I-24.

There is another distillery (George Dickel) in Coffee County TN. (not far from Jack Daniel) that is also a free tour. Its located near the small town of Normandy TN. Actually a person could tour them both within the same day.

I've never been to the zoo in Nashville so I can't help with that. (been to the zoo in Knoxville) HTH!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
762 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jack daniels tour & zoo

Regarding the zoo- I have been there several times- whether or not it is a full day is dependant on your interests and those of any kids in tow. The Zoo itself is in my opinion a great half day activity, although there is a nice playground there that would appeal to the younger kids, and a long picnic lunch and a couple hours there could easily fill the other half of a day. If there are no small children, then plan on a half day. Nashville does not have very good public transportation system- there are the MTA buses and I'm sure they go there, but I would rent a car or take a taxi.

northern england
Level Contributor
70 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jack daniels tour & zoo

Many thanks to both of you, that's really helpful

Edited: 12 January 2010, 08:03
Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jack daniels tour & zoo

bj18 - Thanks for posting this question, we will be in Nashville in Feb and both of these are on our agenda.

TennesseeJust - Excellent information!! exactly what a visitor needs to know.

mrspopeye - The zoo is on our agenda for a Sunday morning and from your comments I now know that 1/2 day will be sufficient for us.

Just as a note when I was planning this trip I decided that the Zoo was on our agenda and I did the Adopt an Animal ,a Bengal Tiger, for a year program. We received 2 free tickets, a picture of the tiger, a magnet and supported a worthy cause.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jack daniels tour & zoo

Hi bj18,

I agree with TennesseeJustme about the Jack Daniels Distillery and the George Dickel Distillery. You will need to hire a car. You may want to do lunch in Lynchburg at Miss Mary Bobo's Bording House Restaurant.

jackdaniels.com/TheDistillery/MissMaryBobo.a…

In Nashville, it's best to hire a car to get around. There is a tour from Gray Line Tours, but it's $45 per person.

Bob

northern england
Level Contributor
70 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jack daniels tour & zoo

Thanks for the advice. We will probably do a tour as our experience of driving in the States wasn't much fun last time! We may also do Tommys tour, anyone any idea how I'd book online? The site just has a phone number, I've asked them to contact me but no reply as I presume they are closed for winter?

We just intend to do museums, bars & eat so hope we can do most of that on foot!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jack daniels tour & zoo

Sorry you had a bad experience driving over here. I probably would too if I tried driving over there.

I don't think that you can book online with Tommy's Tours. I emailed them this past summer asking some questions and they never responded. You'll probably have to do it over the phone. What is nice is that they will pick you up at most hotels near town. Same with the Gray Line Tours. www.graylinenashville.com/tours.cfm

Tommy's Tours also provides a shuttle. If you call them, be sure to ask about a ride to the zoo and back. Gray Line Tours offers shuttles too.

Bob

northern england
Level Contributor
70 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jack daniels tour & zoo

Thanks Bob, that is really helpful. The driving thing was a left instead of a right & a 2 hour detour after we'd been travelling 20 hours!

9. Re: Jack daniels tour & zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2010, 05:17